There are newer employer reviews for Motley Fool

The Best Place to Work in DC

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Alexandria, VA (US)
Current Employee - Software Developer in Alexandria, VA (US)

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Motley Fool is by far the best place to work in DC. For Software developers, we get the best equipment, all the books we could want, unlimited vacation time, food fridges, subsized vending machines, a game room, pizza day, cake day, monthly office events (like going to see the Nationals, or the Capitals, or going Paint-balling), and much, much, more.

Cons

Not a lot of upward mobility for Developers. You're a developer, and you're going to be a developer for a very long time. Since people tend to stay at the Motley Fool (it has *very* low turnover), there aren't a lot of chances to move up. Since TMF hires new developers infrequently, it takes a while to have management positions open. It's also worth noting that since it's a investment advice company, developers are 'tools' to implement such things, and generally do not make it to the upper echelons of the Company, and they are generally not chosen for business trips, or helping to start a new Fool location in another country, or other things that the rest of the business would be able to put their name in for.

102 Other Employee Reviews for Motley Fool (View Most Recent)

My friends are all jealous I work here

Current Employee - Employee  in  Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Employee in Alexandria, VA (US)

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You get to work with brilliant people in a collegial and collaborative atmosphere. There's a culture of innovation and hard work (which is nicely counterbalanced by a culture of fun). You'll have great work/life balance. Senior management/HR concerns themselves with recruiting the best and making sure their careers develop here, instead of enforcing inane blanket policies that make no sense. While most of your moves will be lateral here, there's room to move into roles that suit your talents and passions.

Cons

We as a company tend to focus on the new and shiny, sometimes at the expense of maintaining older projects/products. I think it's something we're continually working on as a group.

Keep up the increasing communication with employees because they really like it!

Great Company to Work For

Current Employee - Financial Editor/Analyst  in  Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Editor/Analyst in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Culture, people, free food fridge, etc.

Cons

Nothing at all, great employer

Keep it up!

There are newer employer reviews for Motley Fool

Worked for Motley Fool? Contribute to the Community!