This is a special place.

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Alexandria, VA (US)
Current Employee - Analyst in Alexandria, VA (US)

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

A meaningful purpose, passionate colleagues, strong leadership, excellent benefits, flexible schedules, and the opportuity to work beside and learn from some of the best investors in the world.

Cons

There's always so many fun things going on around FoolHQ that it can sometimes be hard to get work done.

While Fools are motivated by our purpose, challenging work assignments, development opportunities, and a host of other factors, our actual cash compensation is also important to many of us. Please don't forget that.

Other Reviews for Motley Fool

Great place to work

Current Employee - Developer  in  Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Developer in Alexandria, VA (US)

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a great environment to solve problems. The management really cares about it's employees and the benefits show that.

Cons

There's a lot of dead weight. Turnover is very low because it's a great place to work. Management, seemingly, gets attached to employees that have either outlasted their value or were never valuable to begin with. This demotivates "high-performers" and makes it difficult to hire and retain quality employees.

Netflix, steal their ideas. Fire people that don't perform 20% above the mean.

The Best Place to Work in DC

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Alexandria, VA (US)

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Motley Fool is by far the best place to work in DC. For Software developers, we get the best equipment, all the books we could want, unlimited vacation time, food fridges, subsized vending machines, a game room, pizza day, cake day, monthly office events (like going to see the Nationals, or the Capitals, or going Paint-balling), and much, much, more.

Cons

Not a lot of upward mobility for Developers. You're a developer, and you're going to be a developer for a very long time. Since people tend to stay at the Motley Fool (it has *very* low turnover), there aren't a lot of chances to move up. Since TMF hires new developers infrequently, it takes a while to have management positions open. It's also worth noting that since it's a investment advice company, developers are 'tools' to implement such things, and generally do not make it to the upper echelons of the Company, and they are generally not chosen for business trips, or helping to start a new Fool location in another country, or other things that the rest of the business would be able to put their name in for.

There are newer employer reviews for Motley Fool.

Worked for Motley Fool? Contribute to the Community!