National Heritage Academies

www.nhaschools.com
There are newer employer reviews for National Heritage Academies

Great company to start out career in education

Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Detroit, MI (US)
Current Employee - Paraprofessional in Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at National Heritage Academies

Pros

Some of the best reasons include the new innovative approach to classroom learning. When one thing is not bringing the test score results then Supervisors are more than willing to try another learning style. Another observation is the indivdualism of classroom management for the educator. Educator's appear to be encouraged to try new styles of learning within the guidelines and circulum.

Cons

The benefits of Medical and dental only apply to fulltime employees and I believe there is no tenuring into the company. Parapro's posistions are only contigent upon title one funding.

Perhaps to cut some of the paperwork and tracking some the teacher is able to concentrate on more of the classroom.

49 Other Employee Reviews for National Heritage Academies (View Most Recent)

Overworked & Underpaid

Current Employee - Admissions Representative
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative

I have been working at National Heritage Academies

Pros

Flexible hours, make your own schedule, determine events to participate in. company cell phone (or cell phone allowance), marketing budget with corporate card. Most of the staff is friendly and supportive.

Cons

Role has transformed into more of a sales role including more nights and weekends. Although there is a bonus incentive, it is minimal for a typical sales role. No opportunity for career growth unless you are willing to move to Grand Rapids.

Develop a career path for employees out in the field, compensate employees for crazy hours worked on nights, weekends, and holidays.

Rotten Tomatoes!

Former Employee - Teacher in Detroit, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Teacher in Detroit, MI (US)

I worked at National Heritage Academies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Elevator worked for half of the year.

Cons

Administrators are not adequately trained. Some that I have experienced might not have the correct certification (a Special Education degree) or training but are promoted to be the Dean of that very department. Additionally, as a new employee, I was left "out of the loop" because I was not a part of the right clique. Also, my administrators and day-to-day colleagues were not forthcoming with information. I felt like I was playing 20 questions most of the time trying to figure out exactly the extent of my commitments before and after school. I witnessed teachers getting written up for petty things such as carrying a bottle of water around (the teacher was pregnant and the school had no air conditioning). The students tended to get into physical fist fights with each other and had no issue threatening teachers. Students get written up 85 times before the administrator decides that something should be done. School lunches for the students are horrible and lends to their poor attitude towards NHA schools. Many students used to complain coming back from the lunch room that they felt like they were being fed like an inmate.

Lack of supplies was stunning. National Heritage's philosophy is good in theory but does not play out within the school. Teachers scream at the students (sometimes with obscenities). Very hostile environment among students with staff, staff with staff, and staff with administrators. I brought home $845 every two weeks and think I could have made that much working at McDonalds or some other fast food place.

No room for promotions. Loads of after school commitments. No over-time pay or extra stipends for supplies.

No room for upward mobility unless you are in the correct clique. Administrators act like they want to hear what the teachers, parents and students have to say as to how to improve the school, but choose something completely opposite. Many new Deans only taught in a classroom for 5 yrs or less and expect that the teachers who have already been in the classroom for 10 yrs and above should have to attend all of the 1st year teacher training events.

There are newer employer reviews for National Heritage Academies