There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

A great, fun place to work

Current Employee - Senior User Interface Engineer  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
Current Employee - Senior User Interface Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

The service/product is fun to work on, and my friends all know what it is. Netflix is very flexible in a number of ways (work hours and vacation time), my coworkers are competent, and the pay is very good.

Cons

Since we tend to hire experienced engineers in the first place, there aren't pronounced tiers among engineers, so promotions are very rare.

Promotions seem much more common in management positions, and even those seem to be mostly in-place promotions (i.e. the employee's responsibilities don't seem to change with the promotion).

Thanks for everything, and keep up the good work.

408 Other Employee Reviews for Netflix (View Most Recent)

The job is full of freedom and responsibility.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

A super big plus is the vacation policy - you get to have unlimited paid vacation (they don't track it here).

Cons

I don't have any cons to mention.

None.

Great place to work, but not for everyone

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Little to no micromanagement. Control and ownership of software components you are responsible for. Exceptional compensation. Incredible vacation policy.

Cons

Not for everyone - developers who like working independently and without much guidance will thrive here. Developers who are used to being given specific assignments and lots of structure might crash and burn (and get fired). Extremely stressful working situations at times as you will be responsible for a lot and might not have backup, and potential for very long hours. If you don't have the courage to ask for your vacations you might not get any (no formal vacation policy).

Finding the right balance between an unstructured work environment and micromanaging everything is hard, but it's possible that management at NFLX keeps things too much on the unstructured site.

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!