Netflix

www.netflix.com

Challenging but worthwhile.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Hillsboro, OR (US)
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR (US)

Pros

Two-week intensive training, $10,000 per year allotment for health insurance or as taxable income, 401(k) Matching up to 3%, FREE 8 DVD at-a-time plan + Watch Instantly plan, Awesome lunchroom amenities [free popcorn, apples, bananas, Macaroni & Cheese and Cup-o-Noodles]. Plus, Workforce Management contracts with local food vendor trucks for availability during peak lunch hours. Availability of 4-10 hour shifts. Comfortable and fun work atmosphere, never a dull moment.

Cons

Customers. Talking with customers day in, day out can be rough on moral [but that is the job, right?!] Just remember, "it's just movies, they aren't mad at you." That was a piece of advice that I was given and I remember it anytime a customer was rough with me.

Do not be so quick to judge the abilities of a representative based on a few days or even a few rough weeks. The job is not easy but with your help, it can be. "It's just movies."

Other reviews for Netflix

Absolutely terrible and soul-crushing

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR (US)

Pros

Free bananas, apples, coffee. Low priced soda. Free Netflix account. I worked with (not for!) some amazing people. If your supervisor likes you, you will be treated very well and have some degree of leniency when it comes to meeting stats and time spent on the phone.

Cons

Pretty much everything else not noted above. Most days the "What's working?" list is shorter than the "What's broken?" one.

No communication between departments. Customer service is forced to make things up because the Netflix "engineering" or "research" teams don't give any sort of information to the reps regarding estimated time to service restoration during outages. I put engineering and research in quotes because, as a CSR, you never actually speak to them. They are merely referenced, like mythology or fairy tales.

Reps are given goals that are nearly impossible to consistently meet, in what I believe to be a fairly obvious system that gives Netflix an opportunity to fire virtually any employee for not hitting their metrics. You basically are there by the grace of your boss, if they want to find a reason to get rid of you it will be fairly easy for them to do so.

The customer dissatisfaction is worded in such a way that many people are leaving feedback on Netflix, not the individual rep, but this DSAT number must be below a certain percentage or you risk losing your job. You are basically encouraged to burn through as many calls as quickly as possible, placating the customer or flat out lying to them (blaming their ISP, home network, or device manufacturer) enough that they'll be compelled to say that they're satisfied after you say "please stay on the line for a one question survey" and then promptly hang up on them.

There is absolutely no way that you are going to have consistent, quality interactions in 4:30 minutes or less, ESPECIALLY after the missteps that Netflix has made this year. But if your numbers drop, or you spend too much time trying to help out, be prepared to be "coached".

Coaching is such an absurd term, because it implies that there is a sort of team camaraderie or human aspect. My last coaching session with my boss involved being told that I was not giving my all. I was only supposed to be a contractor for 59 days. I was supposed to have health insurance by now, and some security as an employee. Instead we are told that they can only afford to hire on so many people, and better luck next time, but you're welcome to stay on as a temp if you like! So yes, I don't really feel like giving my all. Despite putting in consistently good numbers, multiple people on my team have told me (independently) that they are afraid of being fired at any time.

I get the feeling that many people are there only until they find something else. Netflix was actually a considerable pay cut from my last job, but even if the pay was higher the way they treat their employees is at the top of the list of the worst employers I've ever personally experienced. Work / life balance is non-existent. While going through some personal issues in my life, my supervisor told me to "leave it behind me" when I walked in the door, not offering anything close to a compassionate response.

One last observation: the people I've noticed who seem to be TRULY happy there are the ones who are too young to know any better. I'm not old by any means, but I'm also not an 18-24 year old kid who doesn't realize that jobs don't need to be like this, that you can actually be treated like a human being and be *inspired* to perform, rather than doing it because you fear for your job on a daily basis. Eventually Netflix will chew them up and spit them out, too. Ask yourself why anyone should give loyalty to a company where an employee celebrating a 6 month anniversary is considered a veteran?

Also, the positive reviews on here are probably left by Netflix management. It cites things they don't even offer anymore at the Hillsboro facility (like free mac&cheese, and, oh I dunno, BENEFITS for most of the people here). You will most likely be a temp with Netflix (meaning no benefits) until you quit or get fired.

I've been lucky enough to work for some truly amazing companies, and Netflix is definitely not one of them.

This is simple. Learn to communicate. Start treating your CSRs like human beings. Stop encouraging CSRs to lie to customers. Tucking tail and rescinding your decision to split the company doesn't magically make you a "feedback driven company", it means that you got called out on BS and you're backpedalling.

Can be fun, can be awful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA (US)

Pros

It was an interesting experience working at Netflix. I was lured by the supposedly high talent density, solving great customer focused problems and bringing entertainment to people around the world at an absolutely unprecedented scale. I thought that technology would be used to solve difficult problems but in the end the problems to be solved are all around content, content, content. It is fun, though, to work at Netflix. The company is extremely open and transparent with data, decisions and the overall direction of the company. There are no secrets. It is very refreshing to see such an attitude; compare that to Apple.

Cons

Yes, there are interesting things to solve in cloud computing but discovery, search, personalization, and the overall architecture of the Netflix website can only be described as patchwork. The people who are working on these services are stuck in their ways and are protecting their personal little kingdoms. Netflix used to be leading when it comes to personalization and other discovery mechanisms. It has lost its ways and now those areas are a few years behind the competition.
    On a related note Netflix praises itself to have extremely talented people. This might have been the case but the talent density is certainly not the same as it used to be. A lot of the good people left recently and a lot of the deadwood hangs around because they will never be able to get a comparable salary elsewhere. There are the occasional firings going on but that is just scratching the surface. Because Netflix does not believe in career development (active or through mechanisms like 20% time) for their people it is hard to keep up with the competition.

Have a really close look at the talent in the company. There are a lot of people who are making architectural decisions who really shouldn't. Also while content is important discovery, personalization, search, etc. are equally important. If nobody can find your content you failed.

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!