There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

Salary 15% above market , Duration of employment 90% below market, Worst culture to work in

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix

Pros

You get paid 15% above market rate.
I was making 165k in my last company (150k base + 15-20% bonus) in a stress free environment
and then one fine day i found an opening at netflix which suited my profile.
applied , gave the interview and they offered my 180k total.
like a fool i jumped onboard.
lost my job after 9 months and now back in the market.
and yes those 9 months were no less than delivering a baby.

Cons

just after joining i realized that the guy sitting right next to me was fired few weeks ago.
as i spent more time i realized most of the people around me were no more than an yr old.
the work was too much but i thought they are paying me more so i worked hard at it.
turns out i had 2 slight disagreements with a member in another team and bammm .....i was gone....

the company has a very simple philosophy....if things are not 100% perfect ...fire and hire ......rinse and repeat........

dont make the mistake i made....dont leave your stress free environment for 10-15k etc because you going to end up being fired the moment your performance falls below 100%

reed thinks he is doing a great job..... i wonder does he ever read the reviews here on glassdoor.
the only problem is these reviews are flooded by CS so hard to read the real software engg reviews.....

414 Other Employee Reviews for Netflix (View Most Recent)

Careful: If you happen to be fired for any reason, it is broadcast to everyone you worked with!

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix

Pros

You might work with some very bright people and make good friends
    Opportunity to learn some very interesting skills and technologies
    Above market salary as long as it lasts

Cons

You might get all verbal accolades and encouragement till one fine day you are told that you are no longer needed!
    Managers could be picked randomly based on seniority from your peers if one leaves and may have little people skills.
    Firing, if it happens to you, is public, humiliating and outright insulting with a terse broadcast email.

Advice to potential applicants:
    - Do not close your eyes to all the reviews on Glassdoor, thinking you are too smart too be fired
    - Do account for the potential time you might have to stay without job while comparing the salary to other places

Treat your employees with respect.

Working for the Nazis.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Good pay and good benefits.

Cons

Too much stress and degrading. I never felt so disrespected in my life.

Get off your high horse and remember you are dealing with people, not your subjects!

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix