Big company with the heart of a startup

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

-Lots of room for innovation. The technologies are fairly new and broad, and there is no bureaucracy and requirements to get approval from top management. Innovation can start at the IC level.
-Great compensation. Talent is rewarded generously. I started the job on a large salary, then within 6 months, my manager decided to give me a hefty raise to reward my contributions.
-Nice work environment: bleeding edge hardware, new devices always available to play with even before they hit the market, kitchenette well stocked with snacks, drinks and fruits
-Smart coworkers
-Transparency about company strategies all the way from exec level to you direct lead level

Cons

-This company isn't great for people who are starting their career. Training is minimal, and the expectation is that you take educating and training yourself into your own hands, which could be a bit of a challenge to some. If you do not possess the knowledge and the talent to be a good problem solver, don't expect management to train you on solving things.
-Job stability could be a concern at times - but as long as you continue to innovate, and stay professional, it shouldn't be a big concern
-The packaged free lunch isn't on par with the buffets at other silicon valley software companies like Facebook and Google - but it's still free though, so can't complain much

We're the reigning champions of video delivery, to all platforms. We reach more than 25 million households. We have so much potential for developing new innovations. Invest more in research and trials of radically new ideas. I'm not talking about incremental improvements to the streaming experience, I'm talking about making our customers say "WOW!", I'm talking about disrupting markets. Take risks! But please don't make another Quikster - that was pretty stupid, like you all said :)

Other Reviews for Netflix

Competitive Company with Opportunities for The MOST Ambitious

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

free food, and flexible scheduling is promoted, although in a call center, this schedule flexability is not really existent. Senior and Middle management try their best to be honest and forthcoming.
    If you want something you can ask anyone and they can probably get it for you if you work for it.
    Believe in promoting from within, and encouraging you.

Cons

truthfully, their open door policy on who's getting fired, or what changes are happening can be somewhat stressful at times. you don't feel a sense of job security. their feedback oriented management style just feels pressure-some.

Netflix is a team. A sports team. an ambitious and cut throat team who will trade you off if they see you're not an asset any longer, rather than encourage you to move cross functionally.

Customer Service Is Not For Me

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Frisco, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Frisco, TX (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay, benefits, and relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

Customer service in general. For some reason going into this I did not think it would be a typical customer service experience based on my own satisfaction with Netflix for the past 3 years. It's pretty easy work, but so many people who called were lazy and/or arrogant jerks. Some of them made me feel like I was an inch tall. It was emotionally draining, especially for someone as sensitive as I am. The pressure to meet the 0% DSAT also didn't help. The survey asks about the company but it's answer is a reflection of the customer service and high DSATs effect job performance. We're expected to convey a relaxed, friendly attitude and build a personal rapport with the customer, but with pressure of the DSAT it's hard not to make everything sound forced and phony because you want to really turn it on to try get a yes out of the person. I'm an introvert so faking conversations and trying to think of chit-chat was hard for me. Do not take this job if you're sensitive and don't have strong conversational skills. You must get to know the person. It is required. I also wanted to add that the schedules and team leaders are constantly changing. It's extremely frustrating.

Change the survey question.

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!