Newton Europe

www.newtoneurope.com
  www.newtoneurope.com
There are newer employer reviews for Newton Europe

Newton

Current Employee - Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)
Current Employee - Consultant in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Challenge, development, responsibility, career prospects

Cons

Hard work but weekends off, away during the week

29 Other Employee Reviews for Newton Europe (View Most Recent)

So much better than my last firm

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Newton gives me so many opportunities professionally. So many of my close friends I met at Newton. And it has allowed me to have fun along the way. We work hard but it feels like we are a team working on meaningful engagements for clients. Clients seem to like working with us which wasn't always the case in my last firm.

Cons

The main con is the need to be out working where our clients are, which means you travel around and have nights in hotels. Lots of socialising when 'off the clock' which is amazing but tiring sometimes!

I know the management work hard to make Newton as good as possible and that Newton isn't perfect for everyone (look at comments below) but I honestly think you do the right thing most of the time and it is a really positive culture that the vast majority love. The few people that aren't happy and leave seem to be the most difficult to please and don't actually perform that well when here - I sometimes think you should be harder on the under performers rather than always support them.

Fantastic opportunity to work with amazing colleagues and make a difference for a variety of clients!

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Newton Europe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You really do get responsibility early on in your career - you will be making a difference on site to clients straight away.
    Being on site with clients means you get to meet a lot of people and have a lot of variety in your day.
    The people you work with are really interesting, intelligent and driven people.
    The review days, activity days and parties are awesome, not only for the money spent on them (we hire a beach for the summer party), but also because we are friends as well as colleagues.
    Everyone, right up to the directors, is down-to-earth and approachable.
    The experience you get at Newton will stand you in good stead to go in to many industries.

Cons

We don't work weekends, but there are some pretty intense weeks - not in terms of hours necessarily, but we are always 'on it'.
    We have to be away from home during the week - we get paid expenses, have team fun nights and enjoy being with our colleagues, but it's not the same as being at home!
    Sometimes a project ends when the results haven't come through yet as there is a lead time for the improvements to hit the shop floor, which means that it seems to us that we are leaving site suddenly and we aren't always there to see the results, which isn't as rewarding.
    If it is decided in your recruitment process that you will be hired as a graduate, it's very hard, if not impossible, to be promoted significantly 'ahead of the curve', no matter what they say in the recruitment presentation - people get promoted at 6 months in (if you are decided to be an experienced hire) or 19-22 months in (the curve for a graduate) - nobody gets promoted in between the two.

Don't lose the culture as we get bigger - we're starting to feel much more 'corporate', which apart from anything else, doesn't really fit in with the senior team!
    It's great that you're focusing so much on recruitment, particularly to senior/lead level, but be careful not to forget to focus on retaining the people you have already! Already senior people seem very distant from the stresses & pressures of what it is like to be a consultant on a current project - remember they are larger both financially and in terms of the number of stakeholders than when you were at our level.

There are newer employer reviews for Newton Europe