Northwestern Mutual
3.7 of 5 1,131 reviews
www.northwesternmutual.com Milwaukee, WI 5000+ Employees

Amazing people doing amazing work.

College Financial Representative (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern for more than a year

ProsUnrivaled independence. Northwestern Mutual lets you make your own schedule and commission lets you decide how much you want to make. You have an opportunity to make a real impact on people's lives. Emphasis on personal growth and development on and off the clock sets Northwestern Mutual apart.

ConsAs with many financial institutions, Northwestern Mutual is a very formal company. Be prepared for constant business formal dress, professional situations, and being in a constant state of marketing yourself. If you love to chase sales goals, this could be the job for you. It is a very tough career for the first few years and requires you to ask tough questions and be courageous.

Great company and great people

Financial Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time for more than a year

Pros: Unlimited income potential Great training, can break down the steps to succeed Proprietary products Family like work culture People… Cons: Financial rep position not suited for everyone, this is easily the biggest con. It takes the right person who can live with the good and… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

FACT: New Hire Wash Out is 90%... first Week, or first Year or Couple of Years... Really, really consider this.

Executive Director of Sales (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: -solid leaders in mgmt, incredibly dedicated to cause, which is growing policyowners, thus growth of company as market leader. And this is a market… Cons: I'm going to nickname a new hire (or Intern) at Northwestern Mutual the "Contact Catcher". Or "CC" for short. If you start your… Advice to Senior Management: I realize others say "give a small salary" to help in the beginning. Or "listen to your troops on issues, complaints". Albeit those… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Northwestern Mutual.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Northwestern Mutual CEO John E. Schlifske. All reviews posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees.