Used to be an excellent company to work for...

Current Employee - Technology Specialist  in  Tulsa, OK (US)
Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Tulsa, OK (US)

I have been working at Office Depot part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For a retail sales associate position, my pay was adequate. Under the company's current policies, though it is very rare that sales associates become eligible to earn commission, when we do, it is a nice bonus.

Cons

Office Depot's new customer service program known as "ISCE" is nothing more than a dog and pony show for upper level managers to listen to in the store parking lot. (ISCE requires unnecessary radio communication, and hinders the associate's ability to focus on the customer.) While ISCE brought about some good ideas, the execution was very poor...

The company's problem resolution process is also completely broken. If you have an issue with your manager, there is nothing in place to prevent them from retaliating against you if you dare report their illegal behavior. I personally witnessed a pregnant employee get harassed each day she came to work, when she reported the behavior, they terminated her before the management could be punished.

I've worked for the same store for 4 years, and I have never seen a single internal promotion. Management frequently gets shuffled around making it difficult to develop steady working relationships.

Lets stop playing games with the radios, and lets get back to doing what we used to de best: Taking Care of Business. Also, promote from within!

Other Reviews for Office Depot

Good job, but wont pay the bills

Former Employee - Copy and Print Specialist
    Former Employee - Copy and Print Specialist

I worked at Office Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great way to learn new skills, great people to work with, shift in management towards the end made a great difference.

Cons

The pay is extremely low, chance at being promoted is almost nonexistent, small chance at getting any commission. As a copy and print specialist I was expected to 1) Run the copy and print center. 2) Cashier. 3) Be a receptionist to the entire store. 4) People seemed to think that I was the customer service desk so they would come to me with complaints. Managers were expected to micromanage everything I did to the point where I would turn off my radio for 30 minutes to an hour, the amount of chatter that was expected to happen over the radio distracted me from my customers causing me to treat them in a less polite way. Also associates were expected to micromanage customers, they were expected to greet the customer as they landed in the different "zones" and then "pass them off" to fellow associates as they left the zones, this required someone to be with the customer at all times. Some customers, of course, enjoyed the attention, but others would be seriously annoyed. We actually had a customer leave due to how often we were talking to him.

Allow the store managers to do their jobs. There are quite a few who have more experience in customer service and retail then you do and you should not restrain that knowledge.

The Review is the best

Former Employee - Territory Development Manager  in  Burbank, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Territory Development Manager in Burbank, CA (US)

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company Check it out...you will love it. Has a lot to offer

Cons

No Cons...just check it out for yourself

Great company Check it out...you will love it. Has a lot to offer

There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!