There are newer employer reviews for Opera Solutions

Loads of potential and talented people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is positioned on the leading edge of a booming industry, no doubt about it. We are constantly asked to solve incredibly complex questions for some of the best known companies in the world. The work is challenging and changes frequently, like at any successful start-up.

Cons

We need to accelerate the transition from a consulting model to being a repeatable solution company. This is critical to growth and scale. Many of us know this is the correct path, but some people are confused or hesitant about how the changes will affect them. There's a ton of great technology and science being developed, can make prioritization tough at times for a company of this size.

Speed up the transition process. Communicate clearly and frequently. Put some opportunities on the back burner and execute on a few truly great ideas.

163 Other Employee Reviews for Opera Solutions (View Most Recent)

Inexperience company, lack of competence on techniques and management

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

flexible hours, being able to work from home for a very long time (in unit of month), free snacks and beverage, Friday catering lunches.

Cons

Very weak and inexperience management, especially the manager and senior manager level. They are inexperience on both techniques and management skills, being unable provide productive or meaningful direction or technical support. Due to the fact of inexperience and afraid to carry responsibility, they express an sense of indecisive.

Opera has what other companies lack

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

Opera Solutions is full of young, smart, optimistic people. Maybe too optimistic. As someone who's worked at several companies and in a completely different industry, I find many of the things that others are disgruntled about at Opera refreshing. The company is trying to redefine itself from a consulting firm to a product-based company, which is a very difficult task. But instead of just laying off consultants (and those who are a bit stuck in the consultant mindset), the company (from my perspective at least) seems to be trying to hold onto them, valuing its people more than any other company I've worked at. After many rounds of layoffs at other companies, this is a nice change of pace, even if it is to the temporary detriment of others.

The CEO is incredibly smart. He knows big data, he knows business, and he's smart enough to know what he doesn't know—and hires the best scientists and domain experts to make his vision a reality. I find him refreshingly honest, able to admit to his mistakes and humble enough to learn from them and move on. The company is forging through uncharted territory, and you need a leader who is willing to self-correct.

My favorite part about Opera is the employees. The company spares no expense in the hiring department (it seems), and that is a huge benefit. Many companies hire the least expensive people who can barely do the job that's necessary in order to save money. When that happens, growth is impossible, as no one can excel or learn, and the company becomes stagnant and dies. Here, you have a company full of overachievers--Ivy League grads, some with years of experience in their fields who can really help shape the careers of the younger staff. In my experience, this is no longer the norm most places.

Other quick notes from my perspective:

--My hours are great. There has been some evening and weekend work, but on average, I'm home an hour earlier than was I used to be.

--While I haven't participated in many of the extracurriculars, that there are any is rare. A company that volunteers, has happy hours, reaches out to the community, etc. speaks to the forward-thinking company culture, as well as to the level and type of employees here.

--This is a fluid, dynamic environment. While that may make some people crazy (and it makes me crazy sometimes, too), it also means that employees can move around a bit. I think some employees give managers too much power to control their experience here. *Everyone* contributes to the overall dynamic, and each of us is ultimately in charge of our own experiences. Those who are willing and able to take on additional responsibility and/or leadership roles seem to move up very quickly. This is rare and should be seen as a benefit and opportunity.

Cons

The "flat" organization isn't really flat--nor is it beneficial. It just makes transparency that much more difficult.

Take some management courses. As with most companies, you're all adept in your fields, but managing people isn't it. Get on the same page and provide a clear, unified company structure and direction, and then stick to it.

There are newer employer reviews for Opera Solutions