There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric

Been a good stable job

Current Employee - Lineman in San Jose, CA (US)
Current Employee - Lineman in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits; opportunities to learn

Cons

Lots of changes; overtime is good pay but can be hard on family life

418 Other Employee Reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric (View Most Recent)

The Cons out-weigh the Pros

Former Employee - Administrative in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits...which most companies offer - health, dental,401k plan etc. There is a possibility of being ok if you manage to get in a "decent department" under decent management.

Cons

-Good old boys club in management - been at PG&E for years, but are not skilled or competant
    -HR sides with management, so they can do whatever they want to you - harass, bully, unfair -evaluations, illegitimate demotions, discrimination, held hostage in your job when you want to transfer
    Penalties for management when they do all the above are "getting a coach" or watching a video
    -Excessive Top layers while cutting layers at the bottom, the ones at the bottom do all the work!. Thus most employees are overworked because they are doing not one, but two or three jobs.
    -A whole bunch of re-orgs for no reason, Old school atmosphere, less advanced programs
    *Older employees have voiced there suffering in this environment but hold on to hope to "start living" when they retire.

Legal intervention will cost the company greatly, so try to remain in compliance with company's policies and laws.

Good experience

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-For an internship, good pay in addition to having decent, various benefits, such as 401k.
    -Friendly work environment
    -Steady 8-to-5 working hours.

Cons

-Was not given an office access card for a month!
    -Work was too easy at times; my supervisor sometimes ran out of legitimate work for me to do.

-Found it a little difficult to interact with the management since they seemed so busy and occupied with other things. Could have wished to been given more direction. My direct supervisor was very good however at explaining the purpose behind the work I was given.

There are newer employer reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric