There are newer employer reviews for Paychex

Great company to work for and grow with.

Former Employee - Major Market Sales in Chicago, IL (US)
Former Employee - Major Market Sales in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Paychex full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, great atmosphere and they foster growth. Great compensation plan for a true salesperson. A lot of people build a career and stay a long time with the company.

Cons

One of the lowest base salaries in the industry. Not always the best managers- so a person MUST be self-motivated.

Advice to Management

Keep a close eye on your mid-level managers. They tend to get stagnant.

reviews filtered by

If You're Not Sales, Forget This Place!

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist
    Current Employee - Payroll Specialist

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Generous time off and ok benefits. If you have a nice office manager you'll also enjoy internal awards i.e gift cards, lunches, and recognition for your work.

Cons

Low pay and LOT'S of work. Yes, they will upsell you in the interview thinking that there is ample opportunity for advancement but if you're not in sales FORGET about it! You will be the work horse with little pay and always trying to convince your clients that you can do everything sales has promised...and trust me they will sale them everything including the moon if they can get a commission off of it. Things change very quickly but with little or no thought as to why which starts the cycle of change over and over again with no improvement in work processes just confusion among clients. Without change there is no progress but if you're also going to continue to change things it would be nice if management better communicated this information.

Advice to Management

Hire better management in each branch! You have managers who don't recognize employees for a job well done, terrible communicators, don't encourage or guide employees in career advancement, AND increase pay!!

It's also not right that payroll specialist do all the work but sales reps get sent to Hawaii or the Bahamas for meeting sales quota yet the semi-annual bonuses are low for Operations. Increase the bonus pay thats paid semi-annual...its very discouraging to work your butt off everyday and get $400 bucks (split twice a year) for bonuses.

I finally found my future...

Current Employee - Core Sales Representative in Tucson, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Core Sales Representative in Tucson, AZ (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Paychex treats each of its employees like family. I have never been more welcomed into a job. I know that people complain about outside sales jobs alot, but the job is not for everyone. If you have self motivation and drive and want unlimited earning potential, Paychex could be a great fit for you. The training was exceptional, I have worked for 2 other payroll companies and this is the first place I found that I know I want to be with for years to come.

Cons

I won't lie, it is hard work, you have to be willing to put in the time and build relationships in your community. The pay and the support make it worth it to give your all, but not everyone can hack it. It is a SALES job, but if you have an outgoing professional personality you will be given all of the tools to succeed.

There are newer employer reviews for Paychex