Progressive Business Publications

www.pbp.com

great place for writers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Malvern, PA (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I can't think of a more exciting challenge for a writer than to work at Progressive Business Publications. You learn to write for extremely busy business professionals who don't have time and who by nature don't want to read. Business-to-business writing is different from any other kind of writing I've ever been exposed to -- and I think I've seen most of it in a 50-year writing and editing career. It's a tough craft to learn, but then again, it's like they say -- nothing easy in probably worth having.

Progressive Business Professionals serves business professionals with critical information for their jobs from Presidents and CEOs to administrative assistants and every other job function in between -- HR, Payroll, Sales, Safety and Environmental compliance management and others. Each audience has its own unique needs. Our writers are trained how to talk to these business professionals and then serve them by selecting the right information just for them from a variety of sources. We got a lot of satisfaction when we hear people tell us we've really helped them become more effective in their jobs. I never felt I had such a direct relationship with my audience when I used to work in general media like newspapers. It's challenging, but it's exhilarating at the same time!

Cons

traffic on US202 (construction seems to be everlasting) can be bad for the commute

think about work-life balance

Other Reviews for Progressive Business Publications

Exactly as Promised...It's What You Make Of It

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Progressive Business Publications is a very stable company, with a strong base of business, which allows them to aggressively pursue growth initiatives. As in any entrepreneurial environment, the job is really what you make of it, and is perfect for anybody who knows how to prioritize and go after the top 20% of opportunities. Expectations are high, and potential compensation is strong for those who make an impact.
    Having grown up in the traditional print newsletter business, Progressive Business Publications has made aggressive strides in the digital and e-commerce spaces, creating brand new businesses that leverage its existing content and resources, and makes fast growth possible. If you know how to write a business plan and build a financial model, you can launch a business, and get to profitability much faster than in a traditional setup.
    Business owners are empowered to make decisions, and are clearly on the hook for results. If you like and want true accountability, along with all of the authority to make it happen, this is for you. This is not a place for anybody who wants to coast along.
    During the hiring process, the recruiter and everybody I met with stressed the company's culture and values. I was honestly skeptical as to how far these went within the company, and am happy to say that there is a consistency in this, across all levels and departments. Progressive Business Publications hires smart and talented people, who are also driven and respectful. Don't get me wrong...there is plenty of healthy debate and productive conflict, so you should be comfortable with this, and know that it makes for better business.

Cons

The fast pace of growth initiatives makes for some difficult prioritization discussions and resourcing. As with most companies, this impacts IT work, which can create resourcing issues. This is being actively addressed with stronger project management and ownership of initiatives.
    Also, not a con for me, but if you're looking for a job where you just show up and leave at the appointed times, this is not for you. You will work hard, and have high expectations put on you, so be prepared.

Maintain the balance of high expectations with the empowerment to make it happen, and I'll stick around.

Internship at Progressive Business Publications

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA (US)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I interned here while still in college and learned a ton about how company culture can shape the success of a company. I was surrounded by intelligent and passionate professionals who work as a team and exemplify qualities of good leaders. Couldn't have asked for a better internship and although I never worked at PBP full time - the experience certainly set me up for success down the line.

Cons

The commute was a little far for me.

There are newer employer reviews for Progressive Business Publications.

Worked for Progressive Business Publications? Contribute to the Community!