Rackspace

www.rackspace.com
  www.rackspace.com
There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace

Great... but not sure if its a keeper

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX (US)
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Good culture, extremely laid back - but your best is expected. There are people in every team who hold their teammates accountable for quality work. Management tries to promote from within, so for the most part they are connected with what the needs of the team are.

Cons

compensation, compensation, compensation. Raises are a joke, small bumps are insulting - if there isn't enough money in the pot for a decent raise, then shell out stock and a hefty bonus.

I understand when the company was smaller, it was cheaper to let a heavyweight go and train up a new person. Now that the company is getting bigger $1B revenue means this is now the big leagues. You need to pay better to keep your top people, who else is going to keep your culture alive? If the average senior sysad or Engineer is only staying 3-4 years, you are losing culture and valuable experience when they move along to a competitor. 9 out of 10 rackers will tell you they LOVE this company, but at the end of the day people are going to go where the money is. Right now its a good time to be an experienced IT professional, step up or lose out.

496 Other Employee Reviews for Rackspace (View Most Recent)

One of the best places to work! Get on-board while we're hiring!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Fantastic leadership by Graham and Lanham
    Laid back environment
    Many on the job perks
    Competitive benefits
    Profit sharing and bonuses (based on performance review)
    Peer and management performance reviews to offer helpful feedback and incentivise fanatical effort

Cons

Communication has been complicated at times
    Growth has been rampant, so changes are very common

We need the VP level management to be as competent as our Director level management- get rid of the busybodies and promote successful, technically inclined management up.

Keep up the great work!

Great place, but some aspects are hyped up.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Technical people are looked upon favorably.
    Lots of opportunity to advance skillset on the job.
    You can actually reach upper level people (CEO, chairman, etc).
    There is indeed free soda, coffee, and tea.
    It seems that leveling up within a position is quite consistent and regular (e.g. support 1 -> support 2).

Cons

Gym is composed of solely of machines and dumbbells (no barbells for people who want to lift weights).
    The "cafe" mentioned is non-existent as far as I can tell.
    Free snacks is limited to apples and bananas.
    There is no official carpool program, although they list this as a perk (in fact, from what I observed there is no employee carpool, just friends who carpool).
    Rackspace University is geared towards IT and Management/Business, with other classes taking a backseat or not being held.
    On-site health services means free health screenings every so often.
    Career progression can be slow if you want to move up positions (e.g. support -> network).

I notice that the company is being run in such a way that it seems that the primary intent is for execs and other leaders to be able to exercise their stock options and sell at a good price, while at the same time giving employees a poor stock purchase plan. I think one of the biggest pieces of non-financial evidence is the fact that Napier spends a lot of time courting the media. This makes me feel unsure about the future of the company and whether leadership and employees interests are aligned.

There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace