RealNetworks

www.realnetworks.com
  www.realnetworks.com
There are newer employer reviews for RealNetworks

A crusade not a career

Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at RealNetworks

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to move up and a great environment to learn. Work is fast paced and constantly changing.

Cons

Work to the bone. The environments are so poorly thought out they might as well be held together with duck tape and bailing wire. Very little communication from management. It’s a lot like working on a film set. It’s really pretty from the outside but there’s nothing behind the building facades.

Communicate more with your teams. Focus more on forward facing improvements to existing products. Help encourage a better work life balance.

198 Other Employee Reviews for RealNetworks (View Most Recent)

Review of RealNetworks

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at RealNetworks

Pros

Free Pop, bowling alley, decent hardware.

Cons

The benefits are worse than the industry average. Previously the stock options were a big plus but are mostly worthless now.

They should learn what mass attrition symbolizes. They should look to improve morale and benefits. They should respect the technical staffs need for a private life.

We need a change...now!

Current Employee - Senior Software Test Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Test Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at RealNetworks

Pros

There is a cafe inside the building that provides free coffee all day. Free beverages on every floor. You will get a warm welcome when you first arive, and for about the first month of working there. There are certain support people within the structure of the company that are extremely helpful, knowledgeable and reliable. At first it felt like a great place to work, all kinds of really nice "benefits". A work out room, showers, locker room, 2 bowling lanes for use after hours, ping pong tables and fusbal table in the cafe area, for full time employees there is tons of available learning materials for expanding your knowledge in your area of expertise. There is a very diverse set of people working here that bring in all kinds of new ideas.

Cons

Upper management does not take the time to listen to the people that are in the thick of it every day. There is hostility, however subtle, on a farely regular basis. When the issues with direct management are brought up to HR, there seems to be a conspriacy to protect certain members of management. At times it feels very "clique-y" and I have felt at multiple times like I was right back in high school with all of the games that come along with that. Management has come right out and said that instead of confronting a problem they would rather take the easy way out, since they are burdened with "so many issues at the moment". Disciplinary actions are not taken when they should be when people are not doing their job to the best of their potential. I have seen the exact oposite of that as well, when someone is doing a great job, but management doesn't like the person on a personal level, disciplinary actions ensue when there is no need for them. I've seen managers that lead with a personal agenda rather than a professional management style. There is training in place that teaches and guides leads and managers on how to be a good leader, but once out of the training session, I see very little of it put into action.

On the whole, I think the mid level management team needs to take a step back and remember what it means to be a good manager. I can tell that for the most part the mangement has history as a great management team, but that has since changed. I am not sure if it's from stress or outside influences, but the management style needs an overhaul. It seems to have become a game of cover your own, rather than a leadership and learning environment. Bob Kimball said that he had received feedback that walking the halls of Real was like walking through an insurance office, quiet and solumn. I have to agree with that and also feel that this could be changed by management taking the time to get involved with their direct reports on a more professional level. Managers need to understand what the daily work they are managing is, they should understand what are the frustrations and high points of their subordinates' jobs. Management should be working to eleviate those frustrations, not add to them. We are also seeing that good people are being let go because their contracts are at an end, but ineffective FTEs are being kept around without disciplinary actions taking place.

There are newer employer reviews for RealNetworks