SAIC

www.saic.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for SAIC

SAIC is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Information Technology in Orlando, FL (US)
Current Employee - Information Technology in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at SAIC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cutting edge research and engineering contracts and projects.
The thing they value the most is their employees and the company is largely employee owned.
The pay is competitive.
They aren't afraid to give you a big bonus in the form of cash and shares if you are a high performer.

Cons

The benefits are average.
There isn't much opportunity to work from home.
There are fewer engineers and researchers on the board and in upper level management than previously.
Healthcare plans favor those in DC and California. Healthcare plans for those in Texas and Florida should be changed to get more bang for the buck.
You may be under utilized. If you have skills x, y, z management may only let you use x skills.

There are great healthcare providers all over the US. The best ones tend to be local. Focus on adding healthcare providers for more locations.
Force lower management to share skills and resources on their teams when other groups require them.

1213 Other Employee Reviews for SAIC (View Most Recent)

Was Once Great

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Was for MANY years employee owned, growing, dynamic, lots of room to change roles and be promoted. Use to SAIC University, with lots of training options, offered great benefits, including good matching 401K. Salaries competitive. Most importantly, there have always been many smart, motivated, terrific people to work alongside! This was a GREAT place to work.

Cons

Gradual slide since ousting founder, IPO not a success, poor succession planning, now the split to two companies and huge layoffs. Corp consolidation resulting in losing amazing employee resources, plus many others jumping off. Constant cost cutting also lead to terrible benefits changes - health insurance is now a CDHP.

Well, it's too late, but . . . Actually listen to and utilize the employee survey info you spent a lot of money to collect, disallow cliques and favoritism, reward merit instead. Death by a thousand cuts is not a business plan.

Going from Good to Bad to Horrible...My years with SAIC

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA (US)

I have been working at SAIC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

When SAIC hired me, 12 years ago, the Pros were many. The benefits were great, the company had a wonderful environment and I worked for/with really amazing people. My first 5 years with the company I received a promotion a year and had doubled my original salary and then some. SAIC was a company I could see spending my entire professional life with.

Cons

I am writing this review now (as a current employee) because I believe that within a few months I will be added to the dozens of my co-workers who have been let go in the past few months. I want to be able to be honest, while not having that "bitter just laid off" tone to what I am about to say. In my years with SAIC it has gone from being a great place to work to a place that I dread walking into everyday. Things have been on a downhill slide since the IPO and the current split process that is taking place has turned it into complete chaos. There is complete and total uncertainty about who will still be standing when the dust settles. Upper management comes riding into town to tell us how scared our competitors are and how the 2 new companies are going to be so great. I find it all really insulting to the basic intelligence of most of the employees (there are those who buy the line, but most aren't). The first round of layoffs was listed as 700, but when you count the large number of temps let go the number is much bigger. Smaller rounds of layoffs have taken place since, but are being done quietly and not publicized. The biggest problem I see is that SAIC seems to think there is a one size fits all solution for all their work and unable to see that sometimes you have to be original and creative in order to meet your customer needs. I would advise anyone considering employment with SAIC to make sure they will be 100% direct bill, and that the contract has been won, awarded and is in place. Otherwise, I could look elsewhere.

Well since they can't undo the IPO, my advice would be to treat the employees like that have a brain and some intelligence. Stop feeding them lines about the split and be honest. Say it is going to be painful, say more layoffs are coming and it will probably be more than the first round, say that sadly in the end one or both of the new companies may be sold for parts (a pretty rampant theory). Also, listen to the employees that you claim to value so much (and no, I don't mean the fit everyone had internally about the new name), I mean about ways to really improve the company. Just because you have a longer title or a bigger office than the employee trying to engage you doesn't mean you shouldn't listen to them. I would hazard a guess that most of you stood where we are standing now and you wouldn't want to be treated the way you are treating us.

There are newer employer reviews for SAIC