A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC (US)
Current Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

Safeway has always done well with the benefits offered to the employees. Continuing to do so has been a benefit to all. What Steve Burd is doing with our health care benefits is fantastic. He is offering those that lead a healthy lifestyle a lower insurance premium. It's an innovative notion. The work life balance is good with Safeway. Upper management (at least those I've worked for) are very good about allowing that balance.

Cons

Occassionally long hours and the negative attitudes of some management personnel.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Just keep in mind that we are all people and need to operate the business.

reviews filtered by

Safeway...Where everybody knows your name

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Safeway

Pros

They are very fair with their employees. I had been working at Safeway now for 2 years. The management has always been helpful in helping me reach my potential. I started out as courtesy clerk at a local competitor. I had been at that location for approx. 5 years. When I returned from college for the summer cutbacks were taking place and I the store did not have a place for me. I then went to Safeway in the hopes I could receive a job. They did. I am so thankful for them giving me the opportunity that they have given me. The pay is great and the management is even better

Cons

It is a grocery store...I really do not like the undercover shoppers that come in and critique us

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing

2. Company politics interfere with the business at hand

Current Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

There is a good focus and understanding of work / life balance for employees. Corporate gym is a very nice benefit to have.

Cons

An extremely political organization. As a result the burn out rate is above average. Compensation is not competitive with other companies in the area or field of work. Upper management is full of a lot of old schoolers who learned how to do things back in the day and are unable to adapt their thinking to new times. "This is how we've always done it, and it is how we'll continue to do things."

Advice to Management

Better dissemination of information to the workforce so we understand the strategy and focus of the company.