There are newer employer reviews for Samsung Austin Semiconductor

rewarding, ambitious, work long hours.

Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX (US)
Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Samsung is one of the top electronics companies in the world. There's constantly new technology devices, so you get to be a part of the next big thing to hit the news in several months. The pay is very reasonable and the bonuses are pretty amazing nowadays! Top health benefits and unmatched 401K matching.

Cons

The expectations are very high! You work long hours. Work-Life balance needs improvement though it depends which department you work in and recently it has gotten a lot better than 5 years ago. Being a manufacturing facility, the mindset is different as if you were part of the actual device development or R&D department. Also, it takes time to move up in the company. It's more determined how long you've been there rather than your credentials and work performance.

Communication is key. Acknowledge your peers and positive attitude will be maintained.

236 Other Employee Reviews for Samsung Austin Semiconductor (View Most Recent)

No week-ends

Current Employee - Engineering Technician II in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician II in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good at listening to techs on the floor regarding maintenance needs.

Cons

Night time superintendent's primary job is to walk the fab looking for procedural violations, if your working nights don't expect to have too many week-ends as most of them will be filled with useless mandatory training programs. Be prepared to work long fab hours on 12-hour shifts (1 hour lunch break only).

Need to improve work-life balance, especially for night shift. Need to have training available for night shift employees, I'm tired of coming in on my days off.

Engineer II

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Pros

Co-workers are certainly the best part, and it's why I lasted as long as I did. Most engineers are very smart and looking to help the company in any way possible. There is a strong bond among the engineers who all seem to come together to fantasize about other job opportunities. The work is there and can be very rewarding if you are allowed to work on what you want. Unfortunately that is almost never the case. I was fortunate to work with some of the smartest people I've ever met, but they all left and I was left holding the steaming pile.

Cons

Management is bad and getting worse. As many people leave, management has no option except to promote people who are unqualified for the position they are forced to accept. It's not about the quality of work you do, but more about the hours you spend showing your face around the office.

Advice, don't work here if you think you have good ideas and can make a positive difference. You will be left feeling very frustrated when you find out you can't change Samsung.

Stop micromanaging and trust your employees to do the right thing. Spend more time getting buy in from the people who work for you instead of dictating every little detail. Look around the world, dictatorships fail. If you get people to buy in to an idea, they will be much more willing to work for you.

There are newer employer reviews for Samsung Austin Semiconductor