Hard work, but a great experience.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager Operations  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager Operations in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Sears full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Working with a variety of people.
-Ability to see how your direct impact can influence a business or the store as a whole.
-Creating a difference in each employees' performance and career growth.

Cons

-Scheduling. No work/life balance.
-Lack of availability to take vacation or time off.

Other Reviews for Sears

Ok

Former Employee - Softlines MCA  in  Strongsville, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Softlines MCA in Strongsville, OH (US)

I worked at Sears part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I liked the people that I worked with directly in the department at my store.

Cons

Understaffed. There was often 1 sales associate for all of the apparel section, who had to handle straightening the entire first floor, cleaning out fitting rooms, and helping customers. As the years went on, there was less and less tolerance with dissatisfied customers. Some managers seemed to be annoyed with customers. There was a lot of complaining among staff/managers.

Figure out ways to improve moral and understand the importance of treating people well and keeping people motivated.

Opportunity for Commissions Challenged

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Schaumburg, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Schaumburg, IL (US)

I have been working at Sears part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good commissions are possible on weekends and family nights. Occasioanally a weekday, usually morning surprise. Associates helpful to other associates as well as customers exist. Base salary near minimum wage welcome during lean weeks. Occasional free food or coffee--if one has utensils or cups to make use of it.

Cons

May have to spend large portions of non-busy days with non-comissioned items, fixtures, cleanup, sign removal and setup. Trying to sell up has its price--more credit denials and more returns. Weeks characterized by poorer sales promotions can be dismal.

Associates and consultants walk the tightrope of trying to entice and satisfy the customer without turning him/her off in trying to satisfy management's laborious metrics, often the target of customers' negative barbs.

There are newer employer reviews for Sears.

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!