There are newer employer reviews for Sendero

Too good to be true

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX (US)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Sendero

Pros

The people are all very friendly on the outset and sing praises of the family culture at Sendero. The office is in a fairly nice location and most of the business is concentrated in Dallas. Much effort is placed on making Sendero be the 'anti- big four' consulting company (claiming light travel and an understanding of a life/work balance) which, for the most part, does show.

Cons

I was drafted to this company because of their insistence on a unique, 'family-like' culture within a dynamic youthful company. This is completely true (the culture part, anyway)- as long as you prescribe to the same lifestyle and personal beliefs of the upper management (many of whom are directly related to Sendero's President or have been close with him prior to Sendero's founding). If you are a conservative, white individual whose professional aspirations reach no further than settling down as soon as possible with your heterosexual partner and 2.5 kids, then Sendero is the company for you. I say this only because many,many work lunches (some with the President of the company) revolved heavily around very specific, and unanimous, theological and political beliefs. I am usually an outspoken individual, but even I would feel extremely uncomfortable voicing my opinion in these situations. I would have continued to put up with this behavior if other aspects of the company were just spectacular, but that is not the case. This is an extremely green company and it shows; do not expect a very competitive salary or benefits. Other things that would be commonplace at a more established firm are overlooked aswell (i.e. parking- I'm not talking paid parking, I'm talking parking period. My offer letter included a 5 year old map of parking areas in downtown Dallas and a note that essentially said good luck). You can, however, expect many family cookouts where everyone can gush over everyone else's children. All in all, all I could think during my employment was 'I feel like my parents should work here.' Sendero may want to believe it is young and dynamic, but believe me it is not. I

There is not much advice to offer, as the management is very set on its ways. I would suggest starting with a more diverse set of employees. I think they also need to realize the family-centric, locally based atmosphere they care so much about, while appealing to the older employees, is not going to help them draw in and retain the younger professionals they are targeting for employment.

Sendero Response

Jul 30, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Hello, Thank you for the review! Although it has been several years, we wanted to take a moment to respond to some your observations.
Diversity is very important to us at Sendero, we believe that we
... More

15 Other Employee Reviews for Sendero (View Most Recent)

This company has an amazing culture and team spirit!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Sendero

Pros

Locally-focused management consulting; fun; strong core values (integrity, respect, passion, higher reaching, and shared success); collaborative; humble; smart, interesting people; working together to build something really special; strong trust in leadership

Cons

There have been some growing pains as the company went from 15 or so employees with a long history together, to 35+ with a mix of new college grads and experienced hires outside of the original network. There's also a lot of work to do internally to grow the company, which, while interesting, can feel like a burden. It's also hard being patient for the company to get big enough to offer some of the things large companies can (in terms of benefits, salary, training, etc.), but in my opinion, it's worth the wait and I know they are giving the best deal they can.

Continue the focus on the company culture; continue over-communicating so everyone knows the strategy and their place in it; confirm priorities periodically.

Company that practices what they preach

I have been working at Sendero full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I came to Sendero from an Industry job that had me jaded and burned out. I was impressed by Sendero's culture and stated values in my interview, but based on my past experience I wasn't sure how it would play out once I started. I am pleased to report that from my first day onward, Sendero has lived out and demonstrated their core values and culture time and time again. Coming to Sendero meant a career change and starting over, but it was the best career decision I could have made. The employees enjoy each other and many are friends outside of work. Upper management maintains an open door policy that is inviting and never pretentious. At past jobs I was usually looking for my next move after a year or so, but after three years at Sendero, I can say that I don't see myself leaving here any time soon. Having experience the alternative, I can say it's a great feeling!

Cons

Being spread out across the metroplex can leave a disjoined feeling at times, but that's the nature of consulting and Sendero works hard to do things to promote unity and connection across the different clients and locations.

Keep putting the culture and employees first and Sendero will keep excelling.

There are newer employer reviews for Sendero

Worked for Sendero? Contribute to the Community!