Slalom Consulting

www.slalom.com
  www.slalom.com
There are newer employer reviews for Slalom Consulting

Good meets Bad; Good Company, Bright People, Networking Opportunities; Long-term Dead End for Most Though?

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Slalom offers a "career path" though it is very immature at this time. Will be interesting to see how well it is rolled out and utilized over the next two years.

Slalom is growing fast, achieving a steady CAGR and is striking a good balance investment in growth and maintenance of the bottom-line.

Slalom is starting to push for more team-based work opportunities and is focusing on being more of a strategic partner to their clients instead of just filling staffing needs. Though the direction seems proper, the company is still selling WAY TOO MUCH staff augmentation (and calling it strategic project work) and this will hurt them in the long-run if it continues.

All local-based work, and even travel-based work (only if you want, they won't typically force you to travel). A lot of local travel, though if your background is that of a traveling consultant, this might be the change you are looking for. Don't leave your current job just because of this though.

There always seems to be something going on. This is one of the benefits. There seems to be a good sense of team, community and being part of the Chicago community. From special events to your typical happy hour, Slalom is an active company.

Much like Accenture, Deloitte, etc. having the Slalom name on your resume will likely afford you some future respect if the companies continues to maintain growth and marketing efforts... as well as making clients happy!

Cons

Small company, so finding the right niche and place in the company should be easier, though this is not promised. I know people trying to make career adjustments who are not being taken serious at all. Some, over ttime, have had to leave just to find the adjustments they had been asking for

Benefit situation is no way on par with other consulting firms. 30+ days PTO down to 12 days. Make sure to include this in your compensation discussions.

Though work is local, it can be difficult to actually find work near your home. A lot of in-town travel can be required at times. (Still nice to sleep at home at night though)

Staffing needs often trump personal interest as well as experience - consultants are asked to do work outside their "tenured" experience. For hiring seasoned employees, doesn't provide clients the best value for their buck at times. This happens at all firms, but because Slalom is smaller, it can become more predominant problem here.

Be weary of recruiting salary / benefit information and do your math. If you are looking at Slalom coming from a bigger firm, your PTO and benefits are worth A LOT and you MUST factor that into your pay at Slalom, or they will LOW BALL you.

Take all opinions and comments about Slalom "with a grain of salt" so to say. Just like people who warned you of a certain professor, all experiences and situations are different. Really weigh your options and needs before you make a decision. Slalom is a great company, but like all growing companies, they need to balance many forces coming at them simultaneously. The Cons listed here represent a certain point of view, that overtime, could be subject to change.

Be more open... and not in a "strategy review" session type of way. Seems to be certain ways of doing things, that, if rippled in the slightest, cause major issues that take too much time/effort to babysit. With a growing company, certain processes need to be set, of course, but transparency along with an open attitude need to come strong as well.

315 Other Employee Reviews for Slalom Consulting (View Most Recent)

Good, Flexible, Friendly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

flexibility
    variety of assignments
    friendly peers and management

Cons

lack of clarity of processes for staffing, promotions
    requires a lot of networking, but not unusual

Great People, Providing Real Value in a local market!

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Although I have only been at Slalom a short time, I have found the strongest pros for working there to be the following:
    1. THE PEOPLE - Our culture is unlike any other consulting firm. Though most individuals come from other consulting firms, we are the best of the best and our personalities and culture are defined by this! We strive to constantly improve ourselves and our firm.
    2. LOCAL MARKET - Our ability to provide value locally is key, especially for individuals who like a balanced life and want to still continue to do great work!
    3. FLAT ORG STRUCTURE - Our organization structure is fairly flat so ability to have an impact internally is easily accessible.
    4. GREAT PAY! - always a bonus to be rewarded for great work!

Cons

As it is still a growing organization, more framework around career development is currently in progress to help consultants have a model for career development. This is one area which Slalom currently is struggling with - as many organizations have more framework developed, I can see Slalom getting there in the near term.

The benefits could also be a bit better.

Redefine our career development framework to be more structured and review our benefits. Though are pay is great, the 401k matching and medical plans can be better.

There are newer employer reviews for Slalom Consulting