There are newer employer reviews for SmartBrief

About as good a place to work as an email newsletter company could be

Current Employee - SmartBrief Tech in Washington, DC (US)
Current Employee - SmartBrief Tech in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at SmartBrief

Pros

I have coworkers I like and I work on interesting things. I dress casually and roll in around 10. I feel like my peers and superiors listen to me and value my opinions. I've been able to advance my career in a somewhat shorter period than I think I would have been able to most places. There's beer in the fridge and the office is social.

Cons

Email can only be so exciting, even taking into account that we do a lot of interesting stuff around it. We can be proud of the products we put out, and our customers like us, but we're not saving puppies, orphans, or the world. We're not causing any big revolutions.

In my experience, office politics are better than they are be in other places I've worked, but it seems there are still occasional battles in the upper ranks that aren't entirely productive.

There are no offices in Hawaii or Costa Rica.

Advice to Management

Come to decisions and act on them a little more quickly.

SmartBrief's workplace culture seems to be an important reason that people stick around. Fight to keep it a positive as we grow.

reviews filtered by

SmartBrief has great potential that needs to be realized.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at SmartBrief

Pros

-Flat culture
    -Nice people
    -Company does a great service and produces a quality product
    -You can innovate and push ideas forward
    -Tremendous opportunity to be highly involved at an entry level and learn from experience

Cons

-There is minimal development or career advancement unless one threatens to quit, has a competitive offer, or does everything themselves
    -Poor motivation/communication from leadership--there is no mission.
    -Little leadership awareness of workplace issues
    -Extremely poor top down communication skills from leadership

Advice to Management

-Focus on Professional Development (in education, communication about career advancement, and recruiting, ect.)
    -Hire smarter people--recruit more widely and raise bases to become competitive in the marketplace. We are losing excellent candidates we are lucky to have apply because salaries are so much lower than competitive comparisons.
    -Address workplace issues effectively and efficiently.
    -HR should read SmartBrief on Workforce

Good work life balance for a company going nowhere

Former Employee - Technology
    Former Employee - Technology

I worked at SmartBrief

Pros

SmartBrief was a quirky place to work from its people to their product. Easy to take time off and days off were allowed as were days working at home. They had a beer machine and cheap soda too, and location of the office downtown was good.

Cons

Company lacks organization and product development. Management seemed to know little about what to do and each group does their own thing. This company is a one hit wonder and is missing the boat on the way tech media is going. Benefits aren't great either.

Advice to Management

Innovate and bring in experienced successful people to manage. Don't be so secretive.