There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines

SWA treats me like a person not a number

Current Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX (US)
Current Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee morale high, lots of employee social events, volunteering outside the company for a cause is encouraged. Management very in tune to their employees overall. Open door policy for managers, can contact them or meet with them no matter your level or status. Management knows you by name which surprised me. Allow volunteer meeting to happen during work hours. Have deck parties every week for employees sponsored by a new department each week. Big employee pep rally each Spring off campas include food and beverages. Provide positive feedback to employees in the form of kick tails which are entered into a drawing each quarter for prizes. For the size of the company the communication is great, they lay out where we are financially where most companies are hush hush. They involve employees in making changes, if there is an issue within the company that needs resolved they will usually enlist ideas from employees as possible solutions.
Career advancement in the company is good but for new employees it may take several years because during the interview process they do look at seniority of the applicants even interval positions.

Cons

Only thing I see since I have been there is when we brought Air Tran onboard some of their people were put in management positions but they did not have the SWA mentality. So you had employees that had been managed in a certain style and it changed overnight in some cases with the new AT personnel. AT is more stringent and follow a fine line. Some do not understand the servants heart mentality and do not promote volunteering. The only other issue I see is SWA i behind in technology, so computer sytems have trouble maintaining the amount of business we have. They also have been growing and are trying to rebuild headquarters to sustain new people and AT people and have greatly reduced work space sizes because of it. Work space can be very claustrophobic, lots of noise and foot traffic within work spaces even in areas that should be quiet. Instead of trying to fit more people into smaller spaces they need to broaden their horizons and try to push for certain positions to be worked remotely. There are many that could do that but then you would need the technology to sustain that.

Start researching incorporating remote positions or semi-remote and the technology needed to sustain it.

476 Other Employee Reviews for Southwest Airlines (View Most Recent)

Incredible Morale

Former Employee - Ops in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Ops in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Southwest Airlines part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have never seen another workplace with more captivated people than at Southwest. Everyone absolutely loves the company.

Cons

Office could use updating in terms of office space

Continue the good work

Great Company, Bad Department

Former Employee - Customer Relations Writer in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Relations Writer in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing benefits
    Great people
    Deck parties every Monday

Cons

Poor management
    Unfair treatment of employees in Customer Relations
    No protection for the little people

Take more time to get to know your Employees. There's a reason why there is such a high turnover rate in Customer Relations. Employees constantly feel threatened. It has turned into a call center, and does not feel like a corporate job.

There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines