There are newer employer reviews for Spurwink Services

Incredible work is accomplished here. Senior management needs to improve.

Current Employee - Director  in  Portland, ME (US)
Current Employee - Director in Portland, ME (US)

I have been working at Spurwink Services

Pros

Incredible work is accomplished here. Life work a balance is possible.

Cons

More leadership direction is needed.

The organization would benefit if employees were on the same page.

8 Other Employee Reviews for Spurwink Services (View Most Recent)

Amazing opportunity to help others while only being superficially supported and recognized by upper management.

Current Employee - Educational Technician III
    Current Employee - Educational Technician III

I have been working at Spurwink Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Spurwink provides extensive training upon hire that centers around Cornell's Therapeutic Crisis Intervention, the NAPPI escort training developed years ago by a Maine native, American Heart Association CPR, among many, many other topics. Spurwink has a diverse group of employees from around the work that work with children and adults with special needs from around the world. There is never a dull day at Spurwink, which only lends to a stronger bond between those in the "trenches". It is very hard work that is equally as fulfilling and rewarding...karmically or spiritually...or for your humanity. The newest pro to Spurwink is the new President, Eric Meyer. He seems to be pointing Spurwink in a good direction that will eventually allow it to retain valued employees and further the positive reputation of Spurwink as an employer.

Cons

The upper management at Spurwink makes it clear to employees that without their employees doing such amazing work the company would not have the astoundingly positive reputation for direct care that it has. That recognition ends with the e-mail and maybe a few brief words at a "recognition dinner" where employees from around the state must find their own transportation, housing, and drinks for the night. In the almost 10 years I have worked at Spurwink we have only received one "raise'. It was only a few years ago and brought direct care employees (no matter how long their tenure) up to $10 an hour. Ed Tech III's went up about 30CENTS. That's it in 10 years. Benefits and vacation days/holidays have been cut. I know of someone who sells insurance to companies and Spurwink's HR Director refused to talk to them because "we are happy with who we have". I have been told we may have the worst insurance in the state at this moment. Employees are not valued. If a hard working employee sticks around, it's because their personal fulfillment outweighs the financial need.

Don't form committees to figure out how to retain valued employees. Eric Meyer, or someone who can make decisions/changes, take a personal look at our annual evaluations. Determine who you would want to keep. Talk with each one of those people personally and figure out what has to change. We are people working with people with special needs who need help.... and now we employees need upper managements help. While we work at Spurwink we are financially sinking as we watch others around us keep up with society.

Safety is MY Goal

Former Employee - Therapeutic House Parent
    Former Employee - Therapeutic House Parent

I worked at Spurwink Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with children who crave attention and love because they never received it is the most rewarding part.

The training this company provides is comprehensive and two weeks long. TCI is especially useful to know. I appreciated the First Aid and CPR refresher. Benefits packages are average.

Your peers, those that are working in direct care, are very kind and inclusive of new staff.

Cons

Local administration say what you need to hear, but lack follow-through. They promise advice and support, but struggle to provide it. Administration will, however, micro-manage your schedule even to the point of asking what you do on your time off. They claim, "safety is our goal" but lack the support needed when a client escalates to a crisis moment and needs to be place in a restraint. With a new client in our care, someone should have been prepared to help. It took over 25 minutes for assistance to arrive. Communication is cloudy. Rarely is every part of the team on the same page.

The homes are full of mold. Some mold is even recovered with new linoleum or just painted over.

Tell your employees you appreciate them. When a mistake is made, apologize instead of deflecting. Micro-management hinders employees from growing.

There are newer employer reviews for Spurwink Services

Worked for Spurwink Services? Contribute to the Community!