There are newer employer reviews for State of Michigan

I enjoy working for the dept. of corrections as a nurse

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Adrian, MI (US)
Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Adrian, MI (US)

I have been working at State of Michigan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Wondering if I will have a job due to talk of privatizing when the budget is in crisis

146 Other Employee Reviews for State of Michigan (View Most Recent)

Running on Ice

Former Employee - Unemployment Insurance Analyst in Detroit, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Unemployment Insurance Analyst in Detroit, MI (US)

I worked at State of Michigan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good pay, benefits. Rewarding experience to be of service the State. Technology in workplace is improving.

Cons

due to political nature, meaning actual Politics, ever changing workplace with no set goals. Salary is paid by Federal government, but you are treated as either a State or Federal employee depending on which is easier for Management to justify questionable, often dishonest, decisions. Management will not support you. Usual problems with Union jobs: no matter how hard you work or skilled you are you co-worker makes the same as you, Union is simply more politics.

Transparency. Understand 'metrics' are more complicated in public sector- the level or rework constantly increases. Listen to lower Management who know the work since upper management are essentially 'appointed positions.' Show integrity.

Great Benefits for sure, great pay depending on your friends

Former Employee - Tech in Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Tech in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I worked at State of Michigan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, no doubt. Plenty of time off, very flexible, every crazy holiday you can think of.....

Cons

It's a political atmosphere, your advancement is usually by who you know, not what you can do. This is true of course in the private world but not at the same level. Department of Technology is pretty much a holding place for those they can't fire. So many times over my 12 years did I see someone who'd be fired in the real world be placed at a made up job cause it's just too hard to fire them. I had my chance to make big bucks by being a suck up and "play the game", but that isn't in me so I quit. Granted my benefits aren't the same but I've advance more in pay the last couple of years in the private world based on actual production than I did in 12 at the State.

So basically if you can play the game, don't care you're wasting tax payer money, you can do pretty good. It doesn't matter how good of a job you do, it comes down to playing the game.

This is a beast that has been built over decades. I'm sure it's the same at all levels of Government, and large corporations like AT&T or Ford. So I "advise" to fire about a 1/4 of the work force who are truly dead weight, but reality is this beast will only grow, that's part of the game.

There are newer employer reviews for State of Michigan