Sybase

www.sybase.com

Stable, with fits of chaos

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dublin, CA (US)

ProsOn-campus fitness center, daycare facility, cafeteria big pluses. Good healthcare and insurance benefits. Dublin campus located in a suburb with reverse traffic is helpful (esp compared to SF or SJ).

ConsNo telecommuting allowed. Christmas Week mandatory company shutdown uses up a week of worker's vacation time.

This is always brought up during "Ask the CEO" sessions; reason given is that we get short vacation (giving up a full week forced to take during Christmas) and no telecommuting so we can enjoy good healthcare. I suspect a lot of people will be willing to pay for higher co-pay or prescriptions if we could work from home a few times a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour must-work-on-site rule is Draconian. What kind of example do we set to when we develop mobile software, but the developers themselves are not allowed to work from home? Get with the 21st Century. Being proud of saving energy by using efficient lightbulbs is hypocritical when you require people to drive their cars and waste time commuting everyday. That's a WAY bigger carbon footprint than any energy savings you get on campus.

Check with HR; top reason for people leaving the company is because you won't allow telecommuting. Yet you have offices all over the world. Just doesn't make sense. Let people work from anywhere they want; just make sure they do the work.

Great people, no career path

Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at Sybase

Pros: Sybase has a fantastic group of people working at the tactical level. People in marketing work hard are are very bright. For the most part… Cons: Sybase is run very top down and operates very lean. The culture is based on fear to an unhealthy degree. For example, the CEO has… Advice to Senior Management: Start to care for the people who actually get work done - they are the ones who have made you… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Great coworkers, definitely could have been a better experience with management.

Telemarketing Representative (Former Employee) Concord, MA (US)

I worked at Sybase

Pros: Great benefits. Good food in the cafeteria wonderful coworkers great company vision good pay Cons: lots of middle management to get in the way company is always moving toward… Advice to Senior Management: Help get entry level employees into better positions earlier before… More

There are newer reviews on Sybase.

Worked for Sybase? Contribute to the Community!