Solid company, limited growth opportunities

Current Employee - Investment Consultant
Current Employee - Investment Consultant

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of leads from corporate, existing clients and walk-ins. Nice office environment, great benefits, no nights or weekends expected or required to get job done.

Cons

Never build your own book. No trailing comp. No real client relationships. Clients often ask for stock picks or other advice that you cannot give.

Expand product offering and role of IC. Create career path, not just a 2-3 year job.

Other Reviews for TD Ameritrade

Great while it lasted

Current Employee - Manager  in  Omaha, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Omaha, NE (US)

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Bonuses are great
    - Salary is great
    - Good mid level people and down

Cons

- Constant reorgs with employee layoffs
    - Technical side upper management doesn't always know what is going on

Get rid of the yes men

I Didn't Know Hell existed on Earth

Former Employee - Financial Representative Broker  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Representative Broker in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good medical benefit and I mean medical benefits only. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Where do I start? First, don't be fooled by the reviews from Omaha because their city lacks employers so there just happy to have a job. This companies philosophy is seduce you with advancement opportunities, but you never get compensated much for advancing. HR forgets to tell you about that part. I started out as a Financial Rep Broker who was already licensed, which pays from 35K to 43K. I got promoted a few times to other positions within the company, but each time I was promoted I would receive a $1,500 increase, which is a joke. This companies annual increases are usually 1-2%, which adds to your frustration that you don't get paid anything. My last position I was offered was a PCS Broker, which is the highest paid broker at TD. They told me I would only get a penny increase, literally .01 cent. I asked them why I would be ignorant enough to except the position for a penny increase, when it required more responsibility and more phone calls than the average broker on my team? Managements justification to me was that my job title name would change. That I should consider myself honored to have this title without pay. I declined the job offer. Management preys on the fact that the job market isn't good. There are 3 routes you can go to advance at TD. The first route is service, and the highest position you can have is a PCS broker. This job pays around 45K plus quarterly bonuses, but they bonuses are a joke for the abuse you take on the phones. The second route is sales, and the highest position you can have is an Investment Consultant. IC's make around 50K plus bonuses, but most of the time you don't blow out your sales, so you're stuck with this salary. Also, if you miss your sales goals 2 quarter in a row they let you go. The third route is management. This job takes an act of god to get, because you have to be the biggest brown noser on the planet. Also, you have to be under educated to have this job, and enjoy playing solitaire. If you have in MBA or a law degree don't even bother applying for a management position. Managers at this company always fear people that are educated, because they worry you'll take their job some day. The culture at this company is horrible. Everyone that has worked at this company over a year ends up hating the company. They keep cutting back on quarterly bonuses, but they say there going to increase the compensation you make through sales goals. This is an outright lie. If you're intelligent enough to do the math you'll realize you're getting cheated out of more compensation. I received numerous Presidents Club awards at this company, and it's their highest honor they can give to a person. I say this because I don't want people to read this post, and say oh this guy probably wasn't a high performer, that's why he's frustrated about the pay. In my 4 years at TD my salary only increased 7k. Compared to friends of mine that joined a competing firm in the area, I saw their salary increase over 30K in 4 years. I resigned at TD, and immediately got a 25k increase with another employer. Don't waste your time with this company unless you lack a college degree, like being paid peanuts, like taking 80-120 inbound calls a day or enjoy being micromanaged to the point of insanity. This place is hell on Earth.

PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES MORE MONEY. When the economy gets better you're going to have a mass exodus. Then you'll only be able to hire under educated monkeys to grow TD.

There are newer employer reviews for TD Ameritrade.

Worked for TD Ameritrade? Contribute to the Community!