Target is an okay place to work.

Former Employee - Cashier
Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Target part-time for more than a year

Pros

Some friendly co-workers, many areas to work and learn to work. Opportunity to switch jobs roles. My HR was very flexible with schedule and listened to my requests of vacation, or if I needed more or less hours or if I wanted to switch job roles.

Cons

VERY "clique"ish. Management is very much a clique, so to move up you have to become part of "the cool crowd." I've seen many people who work harder than anyone there who never move up, and people who are told they can't move up because they don't have a degree, but then watch someone else get promoted who also doesn't have one. You're managers often are brought straight in from college with no experience. It's impossible to get full time at Target unless you get a supervisor position, and even then they don't promise full time.

Try to stop work place cliques. Pay attention to who is doing all the work on the floor. Recognize those people and offer them better pay and promotions. Get rid of the mandatory bachelors degree rule to be a Sr team lead. Many people work for YEARS and know more than someone with no experience who went to college. It should be an equal opportunity. Many of your employees are hard workers but never had the opportunity to go to college.

Other Reviews for Target

Pretty nice environment to work at

Current Employee - Target Alarm Monitor  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Target Alarm Monitor in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Target full-time for less than a year

Pros

Managers are nice and easy to work with. Good place to work at

Cons

I work 3rd shift and they dont roate weekends. Definitely the biggest con.

Great to learn how to manage a team and develop yourself

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader  in  Madison, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Madison, WI (US)

I worked at Target full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Can make the mistakes all young professionals do and learn from them (just don't repeat the same ones!)
    - Leadership development is there if you're willing to put a lot of work in. Those who don't will complain about the "lack of development," when really they need to just keep reaching out to others and making time for it.

Cons

- Large size of corporation means most policies/rules are created for the dumbest of the 200,000+ employees and millions of customers. This mean lots of procedure and time spent to limit target's liability or exposure to the mistakes that can be made by the aforementioned few. It's smart business but frustrating at times.
    - Retails hours are less than ideal, but you can definitely get away with spending less than 50/week once you know your job and learn to effectively delegate and manage your time.

- Communicate WHY policies/procedures are in place through EXAMPLES. Much of the time the explanations are vague. Give those in the stores concrete examples that will help the store teams understand why they're jumping through the hoops that they are.

There are newer employer reviews for Target.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!