Tyco

www.tyco.com
  www.tyco.com
There are newer employer reviews for Tyco

Over Wonderful

Current Employee - Service Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)
Current Employee - Service Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Tyco

Pros

Pay, Company Car, Benefits, Friendly environment..

Cons

Community Rep, Service and Installation concerns.

Managers are too open and disclosing issues within the office about employees person life's. Managers need to be more private but at the same time have an open door policy. What is said behind closed doors needs to stay within management's offices.

350 Other Employee Reviews for Tyco (View Most Recent)

Tough times but good hard work

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Tyco

Pros

I enjoyed my time as a software engineer at AD on the whole, I did a lot of maintenance work in C++ which was technically challenging but good hard graft when you got into it. They were good products and good customers too. The best part was certainly the management - Tyco some yars ago went through a financial scandal so as a result, integrity and openness was a core value that led to management laying things on the line with their staff, good or bad. I had a ton of respect for the director of operations. He was there for about 3 years before he went back to Lexington and was one of the best leaders I've ever had. The firm is now developing more cutting edge stuff under Linux rather than MFC now and is keeping itself in the market. The new building in Belfast is also great, a nice open plan purpose built setup on Airport Road West. Nice for walks and handy for Sainsbury's.

Cons

We went through some bad times and we only found out we were to take two week long furloughs by reading a senior VP's blog. That VP didn't find himself in his job long after that though. I also felt I was given the leftover work from time to time, after I was assigned to a job that a team lead thought I had experience in, when in reality I had zero. There was also one famous occasion when I had to recreate a feature based on a demo version of a piece of software that no-one had any code or documentation for as it was stuck on a salesman's laptop. The relentless testing was a downside too, a result of not enough validation of requirements IMO, but when a firm is 6 sigma certified, this has to apply across the board, even to software.

Keep up the good work, you were very good and deserve to keep up the strong position you've got yourselves back into.

Dynamic business environment - lots of change and all the good and bad that goes with it

Current Employee - Executive in Boca Raton, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Executive in Boca Raton, FL (US)

I have been working at Tyco

Pros

Tyco is a company that is working to get better all the time. The way the company was formed through rapid acquisitions means that there remain substantial opportunities to get better as a company.

Cons

Very traditional structure that is often resistant to change. Too focused on quarterly results with inadequate focus on building a great company.

Tyco has great franchises that can be built into something special if the right perspectives on risk taking and investment for the future are better balanced against short term goals.

There are newer employer reviews for Tyco