US Navy
3.9 of 5 2,833 reviews
www.navy.mil Washington, DC 5000+ Employees

Enlisted sailor 2005-2009. Great experience for a young adult and can make a wonderful career for some.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at US Navy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsToo many to list, but here are a few:

Highly rewarding experience.

Pride in serving your country.

Advancement is largely based on a sailor's merits and the Navy makes an effort to keep it as objective as possible. If a sailor works hard, he or she will usually advance quickly. Although politics do play a role in advancement, they aren't nearly as important as they are in corporate culture.

The pay is good for a job that doesn't require a degree. It sucks when you start, but increases substantially as you advance. Many senior enlisted personnel are netting close to or above six figures after allowances and taxes.

Work-life balance is generally good when you're on shore duty.

You'll probably have a job that would be unavailable to you otherwise. Make sure you choose a job you think you will enjoy. Don't worry about choosing a job you think will appeal to employers after you leave. Once you use your GI Bill to earn a degree, employers will value your service regardless of the job you had while you were in.

There's no other job that will expose you to such a diverse culture. You will learn to interact with all kinds of people. You'll make a lot of close friends.

You'll get to travel to a lot of interesting places.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is great. I'm about to graduate from Berkeley with zero debt.

When you combine your service with a degree from a reputable college, your résumé WILL get you interviews for great jobs and internships. I'm talking bulge bracket investment banking, Big 4 public accounting, etc.

Way too many to list.

ConsVery bureaucratic. Lots of paperwork for everything.

It's the military, so your job is to deploy when the Navy says so. Work-life balance usually sucks when you're on sea duty. Even when your ship is at its home port, you'll probably work a few 70 hour weeks for no extra pay.

Some of the leaders are incredibly incompetent. This is largely due to the use of quotas in the advancement system.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the advancement system. The Navy's enlisted leadership would benefit greatly from a more holistic evaluation. Too many people advance because they've been in their current rate for long enough or because the next paygrade is "open". This often results in the promotion of terrible leaders. Introduce selection boards of officers from other units for enlisted promotions. This would help to promote good leaders while keeping the process as objective as possible.

Historic and proud.

Operations Manager/Helicopter Aviator (Former Employee)
Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at US Navy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: -Good benefits, close knit communities for those who want them, experience (especially leadership experience) that you won't get anywhere else especially in your 20s, good… Cons: -Deployment and missing your family. -Pay is great to start for officer of enlisted but tops out quick. -Not a lot of room to truly… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to and know your people. The more you know about your team the more they can do for you. … Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Incredible preparation for the rest of my life

Joint Military Planner (Current Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at US Navy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Incredible Coworkers Once you learn the system there is surprising flexibility Bachelors… Cons: Deployments 9 moves in 11 yrs = financial strain Advice to Senior Management: The military will continue to struggle to adapt to the needs of younger sailors. The organizational structure based on industrial age management theory… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on US Navy.

Worked for US Navy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Navy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for US Navy CEO Ray Mabus. All reviews posted anonymously by US Navy employees.