There are newer employer reviews for Ubisoft

Loved it...until I got fired for not being trained by my supervisors properly.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA (US)
Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Ubisoft as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Got to work on a great title, good collaboration and support among immediate contracted teammates, learned a lot about what goes into producing a AAA title. Various people I met around the office were friendly.

Cons

I was a contractor hired to create additional downloadable content. I succeeded two rounds of interviews/tests to be one of the few hired yet was terminated two months after starting because, as the producer said, "We have an idea of how fast you should be in two months and you didn't achieve that." This was a gig that involved proprietary software that you can't learn in school--it was being developed as we were being trained on it. I put in solid 40 hour weeks, furiously taking notes on my tasks, dealing with constant bugs in the system that created more work and lost it on multiple occasions. My supervisors were in regular rotation, dealing with their own chaos and deadlines in the building next door. One would tell me I was doing something wrong, I'd fix the problem and the other would tell me I should have done it the way the first supervisor had told me to avoid. I was given no warnings or advice on how to improve my performance and better contribute to the team. I quit my job for this seven month opportunity and found myself escorted like a criminal to the street two months later, one of the most humiliating experiences of my life.

Advice to Management

My conscience is clear. I worked hard, learned from my mistakes and took part in a unique project. But I can't help feeling like I was set up to fail, management playing a numbers game where their plan all along was to keep hiring and firing people every few months until they found whatever they were seeking. I was never given any documents on proper operating procedure, as all the complex information was given verbally and later attempts at clarification were often delayed as they dealt with their own tasks, preventing me from completing mine. Maybe I should have been tested on more skills than the ones that were a fraction of the overall job? Maybe management should have been more involved (and patient--I was just starting to get a handle on things in that second month) in my learning the ropes? Because I was thrilled for the chance to work at Ubisoft and now I'm left feeling like the hero you finally get to meet is actually pretty cruel.

reviews filtered by

Ubisoft Brazil

Former Employee - Game Designer in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Game Designer in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

I worked at Ubisoft full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay is far from excellent, but was decent.
    The coworkers were nice and highly skilled, making the fault routine always interesting, rewarding and a good learning opportunity.

Cons

The editorial team. They were good-willed, but too overloaded by ALL projects of the company, worldwide, to be of any help. The lack of constant contact with the project made their decisions erratic and schizophrenic.

The upper management decisions ranged from stressful to plain stupid, and always interfering on questions beyond their technical grasp.

Not being French will always be an obstacle inside this company.

Advice to Management

Please, don't buy studios just to destroy them.

2. Flexibility, ok environment and work schedule, but not enough chances to grow and develop as an individual

Current Employee - Game Designer in Bucharest (Romania)
    Current Employee - Game Designer in Bucharest (Romania)

I have been working at Ubisoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of flexibility when it comes to work schedule. As long as you meet the deadlines, the management is reasonable when it comes to personal problems and their impact on the schedule.

Cons

If you want to pursue a career as a GD in this part of the country, Ubi is pretty much the only thing available. And they know it.

There are newer employer reviews for Ubisoft