United States Steel

There are newer employer reviews for United States Steel

fresher

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Delhi
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Delhi

I have been working at United States Steel part-time (more than an year)

Pros

love steel technology and united steel is best

Cons

no idea. but i'll say about this later.

braches should be there in different developing countries like india , germany etc.

155 Other Employee Reviews for United States Steel (View Most Recent)

Good and Bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at United States Steel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the folks were very friendly and good to work with and were willing to help you when needed. The benefits were pretty good and vacation started off with three weeks which is much better than the typical two weeks at a majority of other companies - hopefully that hasn't changed. I also liked the 10 holidays off for corporate folks - the unusual but nice ones were Good Friday and Black Friday. I worked in a few different departments/positions over several years and was generally happy with the people, the work, and the benefits. A large portion of their workforce is aging toward retirement leaving opportunities to grow for the younger folks.

Cons

The pay was low especially for non-management. IT, audit, project management, and accounting departments seemed to make less than average at other companies. There are a few bad apples, mostly in leadership positions, that play undermining games or are "politely" aggressive toward their employees. The weak HR department was in leadership's back pocket and (before the downsize this summer) we watched helplessly as some of our excellent co-workers there for ranges between 3 to 35 years got demoted, moved, let go, or forced into retirement for things literally concocted in an Extremely short time period - which in any other company I've worked at wouldn't have been nearly an acceptable time frame to document even a minor case against an employee's work. The environment is changing and it might be getting better for stockholders but it's getting worse for employees as they downsize. The workload was constantly increasing, resources were shrinking, and projects critical to improve efficiency in many areas were put on a back burner in a permanent way. Certain lower level managers were promoted in recent months and they are trying to earn a name off the backs of their employees by being needlessly harsh, critical, and tripling the workload while making merit raises or bonus completely out of reach.

Personal responsibility would be nice instead of blaming issues on lower level folks or taking your frustrations out on them. I saw some of you improve over time but some actually were getting worse in their treatment of employees. To senior management - promote those who are working hard, who have earned their next step up, and not just folks who happen to be "in" with management with various meanings. There is a lot of talent and you will have a mass exodus if you do not recognize and promote people who earn it.

The schedule was a little bit hectic but it was a decent company to work for.

I worked at United States Steel

Pros

You can make a lot of money there.

Cons

The work hours were tough to manage.

There are newer employer reviews for United States Steel