University of California

www.universityofcalifornia.edu
  www.universityofcalifornia.edu
There are newer employer reviews for University of California

Your fellow UC employees make all the difference

Former Employee - Web Programmer in Berkeley, CA (US)
Former Employee - Web Programmer in Berkeley, CA (US)

I worked at University of California

Pros

Even if you are not in a union-represented position, UC will treat you like you are. You have access to quaint, old-fashioned perks such as real lunch breaks away from your desk, the ability to take evenings and weekends off, and even a pension scheme. Sure, we all grumbled about our pay being lower compared to that in industry, but overall we made lots more money, since our jobs were relatively more secure and we didn't work uncompensated overtime.

Cons

At UC I worked with several obstructive individuals who would've been tossed out on their butts in the private sector, but were tolerated and even coddled for *years* despite their lack of contribution to projects or teamwork. This, more than any other factor--more than dilapidated equipment, more than the make-do salary, more than the sensation that I was missing out on the innovations happening in industry--is what made me quit my UC job.

Any one person has the potential to wield a huge amount of influence in the very distributed UC system. I had the benefit of a terrific manager, who struggled valiantly with the myriad stupidities of the average UC workday. Managers like him should receive gigantic raises.

112 Other Employee Reviews for University of California (View Most Recent)

UC -- A Great Place to Work (at times)

Current Employee - Web Manager
    Current Employee - Web Manager

I have been working at University of California

Pros

Benefits
    Retirement Package
    If you are lucky -- the product or service you perform

Cons

It is surprisingly bureaucratic and at some levels employees have the competence and energy of civil servants.

Be more entrepreneurial

Good place to work, but maybe not for life

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at University of California

Pros

You're constantly around students and professionals that have education as a priority - people tend to have more interesting conversations and so work passes more quickly when you're doing a monotonous task. The work was fairly enjoyable and you're given a lot of freedom with a clear bureaucracy (though there is an obvious hierarchy to get things done through and it's not exactly expedient).

Cons

Still a large "company" with lots of regulations
    Pay is alright but by no means exemplary

Doing a good job at encouraging employees to work hard by not breathing down their necks!

There are newer employer reviews for University of California