University of California

www.universityofcalifornia.edu
  www.universityofcalifornia.edu
There are newer employer reviews for University of California

Your fellow UC employees make all the difference

Former Employee - Web Programmer  in  Berkeley, CA (US)
Former Employee - Web Programmer in Berkeley, CA (US)

I worked at University of California

Pros

Even if you are not in a union-represented position, UC will treat you like you are. You have access to quaint, old-fashioned perks such as real lunch breaks away from your desk, the ability to take evenings and weekends off, and even a pension scheme. Sure, we all grumbled about our pay being lower compared to that in industry, but overall we made lots more money, since our jobs were relatively more secure and we didn't work uncompensated overtime.

Cons

At UC I worked with several obstructive individuals who would've been tossed out on their butts in the private sector, but were tolerated and even coddled for *years* despite their lack of contribution to projects or teamwork. This, more than any other factor--more than dilapidated equipment, more than the make-do salary, more than the sensation that I was missing out on the innovations happening in industry--is what made me quit my UC job.

Any one person has the potential to wield a huge amount of influence in the very distributed UC system. I had the benefit of a terrific manager, who struggled valiantly with the myriad stupidities of the average UC workday. Managers like him should receive gigantic raises.

110 Other Employee Reviews for University of California (View Most Recent)

UC -- A Great Place to Work (at times)

Current Employee - Web Manager
    Current Employee - Web Manager

I have been working at University of California

Pros

Benefits
    Retirement Package
    If you are lucky -- the product or service you perform

Cons

It is surprisingly bureaucratic and at some levels employees have the competence and energy of civil servants.

Be more entrepreneurial

Berkeley is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Principal Publications Coordinator
    Current Employee - Principal Publications Coordinator

I have been working at University of California

Pros

I love working with these extremely smart Berkeley students! The institution is open and friendly; diverse and accepting of different lifestyles. I'm a lesbian, and there is a lot of support for me and my family.

Cons

The pay isn't that great, but if you stay here, you get more vacation time and a full pension. It's hard being dependent on the state budget. Some years there's enough money, right now money is very tight. This is hard if you're trying to get new initiatives funded.

Senior management needs to get real. Some of the people I work for have a million ideas, but no funding to back up their plans.

There are newer employer reviews for University of California

Worked for University of California? Contribute to the Community!