Vitacost

www.vitacost.com
  www.vitacost.com
There are newer employer reviews for Vitacost

Opportunity Abound and a Happy Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boynton Beach, FL (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boynton Beach, FL (US)

I have been working at Vitacost full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have worked for several large corporations in my career and this is the first time working for a "smaller" company. Vitacost has a LOT of opportunity and as support functions and management find new and better ways of doing things and getting products to market faster - they don't sit in ivory towers making decisions with no input. They rally the teams and get a round table approach to problems and find REAL solutions.

As for the previous comments about "no more employee lunches" and "no free goods" - well you obviously don't know what is important in a work environment. The measure of a successful company, is its ability to grow and evolve. When you stay stagnant and rest on your laurels of the "yesteryear" you fail.

The CEO (as every CEO does) expects results. If you are expecting less from any management team, perhaps you should find another field. However, different from the other companies I have worked at, the CEO here sits with his people, is interested in their personal lives, their education on the industry.

As for the comment about excel skills and no industry experience - the measure of a truly successful merchant is being able to learn the widget, analyze the information about its performance, negotiate better metrics and EXECUTE. I have worked as a buyer in half a dozen vastly different industries and never failed at getting them to grow. Its the measure of your ability to manage a business, not necessarily know every detail of one particular product category before entering into it.

The morale is the BEST I have ever experienced. I genuinely am excited (as are most other emplyees here) and happy about coming into work everyday and feel motivated and encouraged to continue to grow. Feedback is given and performance measured but its an environment where I feel I can make a mistake and not be made to feel that I am not valued because of it. Its definitely one of the best companies I have worked for and am excited about growing as the company grows!

Cons

Regret I didn't come here sooner.

Keep up the awesome work and the company will continue the healthy upward growth towards greatness!

56 Other Employee Reviews for Vitacost (View Most Recent)

Consider this place if you want a heart attack and dead end career

I have been working at Vitacost full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coffee, free expired products, gym, Florida location, close to lunch spots, brilliant people to make friends with

Cons

Where should I start? We used to have a discount and free products, that is no longer happening. We also used to get free lunches on Fridays, but I guess that was eating into the budget, so instead of keeping that they cut it out and continue to pay executives an embarrassing salary and lunch expense account. The leadership has high turnover; the CFO, CIO (and recently COO fired) positions all are revolving doors with people who are ex cops, unqualified, and come from other companies where the CEO believes they have the magic potion. The reality is that the company is losing money hand over fist, has horrible wall street reviews and is in trouble. They don't purchase office supplies any more either; go figure. A lot of the old timers are just holding onto their jobs because that's all they have; they're unqualified to go elsewhere. The web development area can't even find people to stay; their turnover is high and the IT direction is gloomy and dull. If you are looking for a comical experience, join Vitacost. You won't be disappointed at the circus pitstop.

Tighten up the trust and get a consulting firm in there to advise you on how to make money.

A Permanent Dark Cloud In Sunny Florida

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL (US)

I have been working at Vitacost full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The building is located in a comfortable, corporate suite with lots of room and the facilities are in okay shape, although quite boring. There is a small gym and two showers on site for employees who get the fit bug. Most employees have a larger desk with dual monitors in many situations. One break room will occasionally have expired products from the Vitacost supplement line available for free to those who are willing to risk using oudated products. The breakrooms have filtered water and multiple, single cup espresso and coffee makers, which aren't bad. There is also an office store that stocks various health foods and drinks that can be purchased at an extremely reasonable rate throughout the day. The list of pros is much smaller than the cons sadly.

Cons

The majority of the staff act like they have had their life drained out and are scared about being beaten up by senior or middle management. At first glance, you might consider the morale a fluke but it's very common. There are no cubicles, only open desks which deliver an open and extremely slice of the office which makes it hard to concentrate sometimes.

The company itself has an overwhelming bureaucracy to work through. Previous bad choices have forced the company to over regulate procedures and pinch internal budgets to nothing. During an introduction to the company, HR will even openly discuss the CEO's new office supply initiative that encourages employees to swipe pens, paper, and other office supplies from other businesses or hotels they may visit as a cost saving mechanism to Vitacost.

Much of the 70s style management in play appears to come downwind of the CEO himself. A veteran of the industry whose experience and resume are long and solid, but also belong in the past, where the name of the company did not have a .com after it. The yesteryear leadership approach is stifling and backwards for an internet company.

This man loves to spend his day on his feet, wandering around the office badgering people with the gut feeling ideas and errant thoughts he had while sitting at his desk. The ideas are mostly bad and do a great disservice to what could be a thriving online retail outfit. Occasionally, the CEO will openly criticize an individual in front of their colleagues for something both sensitive enough to embarrass and offend.

HR appears to be either immune to this treatment of employees or disregard it completely. This group care more about pampering the executives and bringing in warm bodies to correct for their extremely high turnover than they do about supporting a positive working environment.

Look at what industry leading companies like Google and other tech giants do to drive employees and the company to mutual success.

There are newer employer reviews for Vitacost