Working in the Pharmacy

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician  in  Chesterfield, MO (US)
Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Chesterfield, MO (US)

I worked at Walgreens part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

All technicians have to be certified so you are not working with people who don't know there jobs. Workflow keeps everyone in place allowing the shift to run smoothly.Great benefits, can buy shares in the co, in-store discounts and online. Great pharmacists.

Cons

Shifts are constantly cut. Managers don't stay long because of the workload placed on them. Customers are horrid to the staff, and then are given gifts cards for their hissy fits. Need to higher more technicians for the number of prescriptions. Pharmacy constantly swamped. Be ready to deal with rude doctors and outsourced insurance agents who don't have a clue.

Stop cutting shifts and add more technicians so the ones you have are not pulling their hair out. Without the extra help lots of mistakes are made making the company look incompetent.

Other Reviews for Walgreens

Look busy

Current Employee - Pharmacist  in  Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

We have the best computer system. We still have stock purchase I think where you can get $2,500 free each year and a good 401k match of about 2 to 1 on the first 2 percent if you contribute 4 percent.

Cons

They are taking away every reason to work there including stock options, extra holiday pay, and now starting in 2014 you earn your vacation as you go instead of getting a lump sum of vacation at the beginning of the year which is bad for people who have been there a long time.

Get rid of the balance rewards requirement to get the sale price. Sometimes people just want quick service and while it is nice to get rewards for some people, it holds up the line and sometimes people think they are getting the sale price and they are not. It is deceptive. Also don't make things up about your employees. I had a supervisor tell me I had a pattern of sick calls and it turns out I had called in sick a total of 2 times including the day he called me. It was basically illegal for him to have called me to harass me about it.

One of the best retail jobs I've had.

Current Employee - Service Clerk  in  Gladstone, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Service Clerk in Gladstone, OR (US)

I have been working at Walgreens part-time for less than a year

Pros

-better than minimum wage pay
    -great work environment
    -management seems to have a decent hold on what they are doing

Cons

-rarely feel pressured from management about pushing special sales to customers who you know don't want to buy those things, leading to unhappy customers.

Not really to management, but the company as a whole, get rid of the "monthly special sales" they are a waste of time, if people want something they will get it, 90% of the time when you ask if they want to buy those items it just bugs them and they feel pressured.

There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens.

Worked for Walgreens? Contribute to the Community!