Walmart
2.9 of 5 6,413 reviews
corporate.walmart.com Bentonville, AR 5000+ Employees

'The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude' - de la Boetie (1552) Need I say more?

Department Manager of Garden Center (Current Employee)
Plano, TX (US)

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- You can be exposed to far more industry which may give you the impression of "freedom." You can and may well encounter numerous high-level executives, even outside of Walmart. . . That may only be the one I work at.
- There are plenty of opportunities "to shine" but you will need to be given that chance (and staffing)
- Sometimes you will gain access to neat tools to operate the business though often there is a selfishness and neediness that comes with it.
- It potentially can improve resume. . . Potentially

Cons- Most everything is smoke and mirrors
- Sometimes the most competent are taken advantage of and sometimes these same people will also undermine others because they believe the system weighs against them, just as much as those with seniority and higher-level managament have only managed to "keep it cool" (a very important process of the indoctrination process toward keeping the work flowing) to stay where they are.
- Anything and everything can be used against you if Management views you as a hindrance to the process of making money.
- Sometimes the operations are hectic and due to lack of staffing your expectations of customer service and taking on the responsibilities of the job can stretch time availability.
- You are entitled to take a break by law if you were hired on the basis of this benefit but you will often feel compelled not to, all the while subordinates understandably feel compelled to take it; sometimes this is an easy excuse to "pass the buck".
- I know this may sound paranoid but if things "appear up" for you, I would keep an eye on your back.
- People are paranoid and you may encounter genuine sociopaths; it's also a given that the Gervais Principle applies to Walmart, just like any other industry.
- Walmart has and will continue to use the legal system to increase profitability. Many times people that are in Section 8 housing will be hired by Walmart, who in turn gets money from the government. This isn't necessarily "bad" but it does weigh against those whom might be considered more qualified for the tasks at hand. This may also be a reason they would prefer to remove none ethnic management in favor of those that are within this hiring demographic. Overall this isn't bad for the company but when you are specifically paying for very expensive real estate near top 1-2% income percentile home owners, you probably want to cater to the demographics and expectation of how to relate to them.
- The grocery department holds a high priority because it is a big profit sector for Walmart. . . Good for Walmart though bad for other departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementYes it's important to cull the "bad apples" from any industry but it may also be important to consider what doesn't work and resolve the issues instead of putting salve over the sutures. Sometimes the development of PTSD can impact performance; I won't tell you how to run your business but I sure as heck will tell you how not to. Those within the company could possibly know who I am based off this posting. . . Sorry I'm not positive.

13 yrs and counting

Zone Merchandise Supervisor (Current Employee)
Durham, NC (US)

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Wal-Mart has a great opportunity for advancement Cons: No cons really so far Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

zone merchandise manger

I have been working at Walmart full-time

Pros: good management team great teamwork Cons: not enough help and not enough hours Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Walmart.

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!

Walmart – Why Work for Us?

Our Businesses Our mission is to save people money so they can live better. And every division, business unit and department that makes up Walmart is committed to using our company’s size and scale to make the biggest… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Walmart reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Walmart CEO Doug McMillon. All reviews posted anonymously by Walmart employees.