Great Company - So Great I've Worked There Twice

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA (US)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Wayfair as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

-Outstanding/extensive benefits package (3.2 weeks PTO, health/dental/vision, sox/bruins/celtics tickets, discount movie tickets, free snacks, yearly bonus...)
-Great work/life balance
-Transparent work environment. Directors, VPs and Co-Founders are easy to talk to and provide insight and guidance.
-Casual dress code. Jeans/t-shirts and shorts in the summer.
-Great office space (right near the Pru) and easy to get to from MBTA.
-Getting to work with some of the brightest minds in Boston.
-Fun culture that promotes creativity and growth.

Cons

-Salaries can be a little low on the business side but that's something senior management is aware of and working to fix.

Continue to hire top talent and keep your employees happy. The market in Boston is extremely competitive (especially in software) and the last thing you want is to lose talent to competing companies.

Other Reviews for Wayfair

Work Hard, Play Hard culture

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, fun culture, good perks & benefits - health & dental are excellent compared to other companies especially for families.
    Wide open opportunities for advancement or different career paths. People are constantly changing departments with no opposition from managers - just need to see something you want to do and ask for it. If you're doing a good job, chances are you will get it. So from that standpoint, you're able to get so much more experience than you would at a more hierarchical or tenure-based organization.
    Pace is really fast. Because of that, employees are empowered to make decisions & run with them. Scary but exciting. And lastly with a company growing this fast, the equity grants are a nice carrot.

Cons

Work life balance can tilt askew and sometimes you just have to recognize that you can't do it all. Often you're loaded up with much more than you can reasonably accomplish so you have to decide what's going to slip. Salaries are not terrific, especially for entry level. You're in it for the start up experience and the camaradarie, (plus the quarterly parties & monthly team drinks) not the salary. We need better career path planning and more concrete review criteria, but I hear some of that's in the works. The problem is, roles are constantly being created and changed, new groups are forming and so by the time you define a career progression within a department, it's obsolete.

We need better career path planning and more concrete review criteria. What exactly merits a '4' rating for "Persuation and critical thinking" for an entry-level employee vs a manager?
    A better view to what career options are out there within the company for a 2-4 year player will go a long way to helping retain those folks. I see tremendous opportunities for an ambitious analytical thinker, but I'm not sure they do.

Good company with nice people

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

a really nice working environment

Cons

it's getting bigger and political

There are newer employer reviews for Wayfair.

Worked for Wayfair? Contribute to the Community!