Weight Watchers
www.weightwatchersinternational.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Long time employee frustrated by management decisions, low pay and poor training

Receptionist (Former Employee)

I worked at Weight Watchers part-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe best part of this job is working with the members. You develop an investment in their success at the program. Nothing is more satisfying than seeing a member get to their goal weight. I also always enjoyed the other staff members I worked with.

ConsThe pay is very low. You are paid by the meeting, not by hours worked. Whether your meeting takes an hour and a half or two hours or more, your pay is the same. And good luck trying to make sense of your paycheck. In the 12+ years I worked there, I could never explain exactly how I was compensated. There is a set base pay plus commission on product sales and number of members in the meeting. But how that is figured never made any sense.

Receptionists must supply their own pot of money for making change, which means constant trips to the bank to get proper change, all uncompensated. In fact, many tasks expected from you are uncompensated, including checking email for communication from management and reading the staff web site for notices of sales and other communication from the company.

In an effort to save money in the last few years, job training has moved from face to face meetings to online webinars and computer based training. As a result, the quality of the training provided has gone downhill considerably.

Field staff are treated very poorly. You can be removed from any meeting you work without any notice at all. And not because you have done something wrong, but simply because they want to make a change. This seems to happen quite often. This job was not my main source of income, so this didn't affect me much when I was pulled from a meeting. But I saw this done to others who
 were counting on the income from their meetings and they were definitely hurt by the loss of income.

Advice to Senior ManagementField staff should be listened to and treated with respect. Communicate better. Improve the training process so that new employees know what they are doing before they start working. Improve the website and the mobile apps. You have built your program to emphasize these things, and yet often they do not work properly, which frustrates members.

Horrible compensation

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time for more than a year

Pros: Wonderful members, great coworkers, a lot of flexibility in working… Cons: Barely minimum wage, mostly below minimum wage if you add in prep, travel, emails, banking, snail mail. Manual labor in dress clothes. Meeting… Advice to Senior Management: Update the computer system to something from this century. Pay a decent wage. Make training easy… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Fun job, not enough pay

Weight Watchers Meeting Leader (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time for more than a year

Pros: You really do get to help people in an important way. Weight Watchers weight loss program really does work! The training is all… Cons: There is a lot of unpaid work. You spend a few hours each week preparing for leading meetings, keeping up with company email,… Advice to Senior Management: The job just isn't worth the pay. Meeting pay is good when you have large meetings, but that is not… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Weight Watchers.

Worked for Weight Watchers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Weight Watchers reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Weight Watchers CEO James R. Chambers. All reviews posted anonymously by Weight Watchers employees.