Wikimedia Foundation

wikimediafoundation.org

Great people, hard problems

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsEveryone here believes strongly in the mission. Many of the problems faced by the Wikimedia Foundation are unique -- you don't feel like you are re-inventing the wheel. You get to work with amazing people and impact the lives of half a billion people a year.

ConsCompensation is not competitive for the tech industry due to non-profit status. There is a very vocal community from the projects that often does not trust anything that the WMF does.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is time to realize what is best for the 500 million readers and sometimes push forward even if the 100,000 editors disagree.

Changing the world and having fun.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Wikimedia Foundation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Driven, motivated staff. Smart managers. Great, downtown SF… Cons: Some of the benefits are being cut back (staff lunch, I miss you), but in fairness others are being… Advice to Senior Management: Pay attention to the community side. Remember that half… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A great non-profit; an okay technology organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Wikimedia Foundation as a contractor for more than a year

Pros: You have mostly upbeat, brilliant, and idealistic co-workers from all over the world, all working… Cons: The pace is quick compared to the average non-profit, but it can be glacial compared to… Advice to Senior Management: The WMF needs managers with deeper experience in technology leadership,… More
There are newer reviews on Wikimedia Foundation.

Worked for Wikimedia Foundation? Contribute to the Community!