Yahoo

www.yahoo.com
  www.yahoo.com
There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

As Good As It Gets

Current Employee - Editor in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
Current Employee - Editor in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

If you must endure corporate culture, Yahoo has one of the best environments in the Bay Area. The main campus mimics the layout of a university, but its maturity doesn't have the patchwork layout of other newer campuses. There's something to be said about having a decent gym, grounds, and people who are cordial to one another.

Cons

As with any company that has been around for a long time, Yahoo takes a while to shed dead weight. Part of that is indicative of a lack of nimbleness, as well as the Silicon Valley fantasy of the flat structure. Besides constantly seeking new talent, there needs to be an equal measure of in-house development of talent. New managers should be required to undergo leadership training, and promotions should not go hand-in-hand with seniority.

Yahoo should be a content company. Period. It has the power and perhaps the responsibility to reshape the new media landscape.

1839 Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo (View Most Recent)

Great place to work!!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

Great people you work with and the amazing opportunities available which wouldn't be available at most other companies.

Cons

With Yahoo! getting big, people get pigeon holed into specific roles even when you are clearly qualified to work on a variety of things. This clearly hampers the motivation.

I see a lot of nepotism/favoritism. Please try to put the right people in the right positions.

Chaotic - but a great place to work.

Current Employee - Business Development Director in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Development Director in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

Truly a unique culture - people here really pride themselves on it's being fun. The whole thing about not caring about heirarchy is pretty true. Also, so many people want us to win - it's almost like being david to goliath.

Cons

Chaos - there is very little organization, strategy, or execution. There are plenty of areas we could improve in, but we haven't managed to pick a few that are really important. It was really telling when even Jerry couldn't answer the question - think it was on CNBC - "what is Yahoo about". We really need to figure that out.

Pick one thing! We have not learned anything since the Peanut Butter Manifesto!

There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo