There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

Never thought I'd have a job like this.

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Omaha, NE (US)
Current Employee - Account Manager in Omaha, NE (US)

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun, fast paced environment.
Free food.
Great benefits.
Awesome Culture
Growing Stock Price

Cons

Competitive Promotions
Below Average Wages
Mediocre Public Perception
Decreasing Market Share

Invest In and Develop Talent
Listen to Employees

1764 Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo (View Most Recent)

Don't do contract work for Yahoo.

Former Employee - Service Reliability Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Service Reliability Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I worked at Yahoo as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Yahoo treats regular employees well, they are trying to implement new management techniques like "Tribal Leadership" and "KanBan." The free food is a nice perk - but really helps the company since there are no nearby restaurants. To a contractor, It felt like regular employees were satisfied overall with their jobs.

Cons

My immediate managers were terrible. Hands off is OK, but they gave no feedback or misleading information. In retrospect, I felt I was being set-up to fail. For contractors, tribal leadership means you get voted off the island before you even have a chance to see where the island is.

Check on how your middle managers handle contractors. If a middle manager recommends terminating contracts after five weeks in the middle of training, something is seriously broken somewhere. Either your hiring process is broken, or your expectations are unrealistic. Try to figure out what's broken first. My impression is Ready, Fire, Aim is what is going on.

I came into with Yahoo with a positive attitude, ready and able to make a contribution. I feel betrayed and disillusioned. Getting let go the same day two new people are brought in, is just wrong. Perhaps terror tactics work at first for dictatorships, but usually end badly for the dictators and the countries they lead.

Great learning experience for interns

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Yahoo as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great learning experience for interns. Given heavy responsibilities meant for full timers and although learning curve was steep, it resulted in a much richer experience.

Cons

None that I can think of at the moment, as mentioned a great place for interns to learn, great working culture.

None

There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!