Engine Yard

Engine Yard Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

John Dillon

Constant undercurrent

ProsExperience and connections in the community. Lots of opportunities to participate in conferences (although less of that now perhaps). Some very sharp people work here. The outstanding commitment of supporting the customers. The teamwork, especially within teams.

ConsThe undercurrent. The hipster crowd not accepting others outside their limited world. Communications and cooperation between teams is nearly non-existent - for example engineering and any team. Or marketing and most other teams. It's just weird. No attempt at cross-functional project management. Lack of respect. Constant management change. Changing management makes more changes without understanding past mistakes, or the world they are now in.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously. Wake up and smell the culture. Be the example that you need to be. Attempt to improve the undercurrent. If you can improve the culture - first - then you have a better chance at making the great changes that you dream of. But without the people working as a team, it just is not going to happen.

Mixed experience

Senior Computer Systems Analyst (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsI got a lot of good out of working for LM - good salaries, if you're willing to change jobs every two years and move, opportunities to work remote, and they paid for my masters degree.

ConsWe switched to being a matrixed organization, so my "HR" side manager had no idea what I did or why, and had complete ownership over my salary, promotions, opportunities, etc. Meanwhile my "engineering" manager thought I was great but had no power to help me grow in my career. Terrible mix that ends up with the employee having no advocate with power.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee "cons." Also, invest more in training and using modern toolsets, and stop having everything be Microsoft. Open source tools out there are free and much better.

Major ups and downs

ProsPretty decent compensation, the majority of employees are bright, interesting people. A growing industry with lots of room for growth. Customers on the cutting edge of web development

ConsThe company culture has gone downhill - many employees seem burnt out on the constant change; no official policy for annual raises or long term benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove interdepartmental communication and create long-term incentives for veteran employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Troubled culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsFlexible work environment and nice people to work with

ConsEngineering team is a mess, unorganized and difficult to work with

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the Engineering team, add transparency within the org

Disconnected, disjointed, unfocused culture

ProsYou have a lot of freedom to do what you want to do, which leads to good work/life balance.

ConsThere are a lot of strong personalities and everyone seems to be pursuing their own agenda rather than serving the user or some unified corporate team goal. Very unwelcoming to new people.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet everyone on board with the corporate goals! Communicate more openly. Make sure that when you use the word "transparency" you are walking the walk, not just talking the talk.

Consistently inconsistent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-I worked with a lot of fantastic and talented people
    -Good product that delights customers
    -Top notch support

Cons-Very high turnover
    -Constantly changing gears so it's hard to carry any momentum
    -Employees were paranoid about privacy
    -Poor company culture
    -Top down Management style is very disruptive

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about the company culture and the individuals.

Mediocre Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome of the people are definitely awesome, and the office location is convenient.

ConsUpper management doesn't care much about the rest of the employee base. We're all replaceable and not really worth getting to know or listening to. It's a fine place to work in the grand scheme of the world, but considering how many seriously amazing other companies there are in SF, why would you bother?

Pretty good!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat environment; the company does a lot to ensure its employees are happy (lots of after hours events, etc).

ConsNot much. Same as any mid-size company.

Opensource friendly

ProsGreat team to work with. Engineyard allows me to work on opensource full time and it is rare I do internal tasks - kind of dream job.

ConsWorking from foreign country makes it a bit complicated, I need to account for vacations and sick days on my own. Rather low amount of communication, but as I'm doing work unrelated to the company it can be expected.

An learning experience well learned

Software Developer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsConstant Personal Learning
    Supporting the Latest Ruby Technologies
    Using Amazon Web Services and supporting EC2
    Dynamic culture due to the large global employment

ConsLack of direction
    Tribal Knowledge was the primary form of knowledge
    Not enough teamwork
    General dissatisfaction between coworkers
    Not enough communication

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open with your employee's and give them the ability to see what's going on, on a day to day basis. Hire more people to help share information and bridge the communication barrier between upper management and the rest of the company.

Worked for Engine Yard? Contribute to the Community!