Epsilon

Updated 19 November 2014
3.2

Epsilon President and CEO Bryan Kennedy
Bryan Kennedy

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is said to be important but I think that depends on your supervisor (in 19 reviews)

• Your allowed to work from home when you are sick (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Workload to staff ratio lacks balance, making work/life balance nearly impossible (in 28 reviews)

• Some of the office politics can get to you if you're not in upper management but I feel all companies have this to some degree (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Wakefield, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Wakefield, MA (US)

I worked at Epsilon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very good people and culture. The culture is very relaxed and collaborative. Definitely a great place to work in!

Cons

There aren't too many cons in this company. I would ask about the turn over rate during your interview.

Keep doing what you are doing well. I would suggest increasing the ESPP as well as implement a dividend program for stakeholders and employees moving forward.

Great work life balance

Current Employee - Associate Database Developer in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Database Developer in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Epsilon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

fast paced, forward thinking company

Cons

a little disorganized and hectic

High longevity of current employees, cooperative/mutually-helping work environment

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lafayette, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lafayette, CO (US)

I have been working at Epsilon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The Lafayette office still has a small-company feel, as projects and teams are small. Most of the current employees at this location are from the Abacus and Online teams. During busy times, food is often provided for client-support roles, and also for anyone having to work outside of normal business hours for special projects or events.

Lots of opportunities for community-service involvement, including charity fund-raising events, and Habitat for Humanity (for which the company will pay your time off).

Cons

Now a very large company, composed of many different divisions which were formerly separate companies that Epsilon has acquired over the past 8 years. The result is that corporate-level integration of communication and IT infrastructure isn't fully baked yet.

Epsilon IT

Current Employee - Windows Systems Administrator in Wakefield, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Windows Systems Administrator in Wakefield, MA (US)

I have been working at Epsilon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great room for growth. You will never be bored. If you are hardworking and willing to learn, there are virtually no limits to what you can learn.

Cons

The expectations for IT employees are FAR too high. With an outrageous Server to Admin ratio of almost 800:1 the amount of work is almost unattainable for the Admins that we have.

Hire more server Administrators, provide more competitive salaries as well as annual bonuses and raises.

Nice workplace

I worked at Epsilon full-time

Pros

Cafeteria and Gym with showers in the building. They have several development teams therefore lots of smart developers to interact with and learn from.

Cons

In my opinion having an employee that reports to someone in the org chart but in reality reports to a different manager all the time depending on the team she is working on is a little confusing and overhead that could be used to staff teams better. Small company culture very embedded in some upper managers.

Nice company with bad senior management

Former Employee - Senior Interactive Developer in Irving, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Interactive Developer in Irving, TX (US)

I worked at Epsilon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work with a lot of smart people. Projects were interesting but management always over-sold development's ability to deliver. The result is long and stressful hours for developers, delivering shoddy work and spending the next several years trying to fix things. Lower level managers tend to be superb. I don't know what happens when they hire VP - C-levels. Benefits were good.

Cons

Sub-par salary and Ivory Tower senior management.

Won't bother since they never listen anyway,

Always evolving

Current Employee - Creative Position in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Creative Position in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Epsilon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of my co-workers are good people and play well with others. Management quality seems to be hit or miss. Some have been great, some not so much. The PTO time is generous with three weeks vacation and five sick days starting. Stock purchase plan available and since it's a large, constantly-growing company, this is beneficial. Work/Life balance is said to be important but I think that depends on your supervisor.

Cons

Turnover rate seems high on the account side, but creatives tend to stay longer. It doesn't seem that promotions happen very often because management roles are usually searched for outside of the company. Compensation, for me, is poor. There are others in my same position that makes a substantial amount more than myself but we are supposed to get a salary evaluation soon that will hopefully "even everyone out". Depending on your manager, work/life balance can differ. Some of the clients are very demanding.

Communication is the MOST important thing.

Epsilon is a great company to work for!

Current Employee - Senior Database Developer in Irving, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Database Developer in Irving, TX (US)

I have been working at Epsilon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Creative, friendly, dedicated, lots of energy, flexible and collaborative work environment. Learned a lot on an intense 2 month system build.

Cons

You really have to put in the time and effort long term in order to be recognized, would think that if the performance and dedication is there, the rewards would come quicker.

Keep the communication open at all levels, love the current direction.

Sr Database Developer

Current Employee - Senior Database Developer in Wakefield, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Database Developer in Wakefield, MA (US)

I have been working at Epsilon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

excellent work life balance
    company is very stable and is making progress and becoming leader in database marketing

Cons

dosent seem to use new technology
    need to make more effort to retain talent
    salary raise and bonus is very poor

need to train present employees to new technology

Toxic! Turn. And. Run.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Epsilon full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'll start by saying that I'm confident my experience and those of my colleagues in the West Chicago location is probably radically different from that of my colleagues in other Epsilon offices. I believe that the vision of this company and the top leadership. The company recently went through a rebranding that, I believe, is strong, fresh and would make me proud to work there. The company is healthy financially, and for the most part, the benefits are strong.

Cons

I was part of the West Chicago location, formerly Aspen Marketing Services. This is part of the "agency" arm of Epsilon, which had very little to do with the data brokerage identity of the company. I believe that there are systemic fault lines in this organization that make it the worst work environment I've ever experienced. If you are advanced in your career and have any desire to perform at a strategic level, this is not the job for you. The vision of my role that was painted during the interview process could not be more opposite than my actual experience.

Let's get the basic flaws out of the way: The PTO allocation was a far cry from what I'd expect at my level of experience or from experience in other agencies. The work environment is uninspiring and it's in a "warehouse row" location in the middle of nowhere. I knew about these things and chose to overlook them because I was led to believe that I would have a role that was strategic and at a higher level of leadership. Don't fall for this: It is not true!

The senior leaders (at least in this location) have limited to no exposure to anyone above the SVP level (our immediate managers). For someone like me who had a personal relationship with the CEO of my previous organization, I found this to be disconcerting. In addition, the company is not effective in teaching all of us what else Epsilon as a massive data company has to offer clients. While I knew that I worked for a data company, I knew very little about what resources I had to provide clients to help improve their business.

I reported to one of the top "leaders" in the company. My manager created a culture of fear and resentment by publicly berating me and other members of the team, agreeing to impossible demands and then punishing us for failing to achieve them, and making autocratic decisions but then assigning blame to me and other team members when things fell apart, rather than taking responsibility for their own decisions and hand in the end result.

The most senior members of the team (including myself) are regularly expected to perform extremely tactical duties, which often are consuming due to the lack of "bench" support on the team. Even worse, when performing these tasks three levels beneath us, executive leadership micromanages to the point that it's impossible not to regularly doubt one's own ability. I was never supported as a leader by my manager but rather constantly contradicted, refuted and screamed at publicly, demolishing any leadership credibility. When combined with the reality of performing the day-to-day role of an AE, it is unfathomable that I was still expected to play a leadership role and ultimately held responsible for the performance of the team.

This work environment is toxic and does not facilitate strong performance. If I could give this company zero stars, I would. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy and deeply regret making the decision to work there.

Be aware of the people you have in top positions. There is some serious potential for leadership improvement, if it's even possible in this case. People are leaving both voluntarily and involuntarily - and if they haven't left, yet, you can be sure they want to.