Equifax

www.equifax.com

Equifax Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014
Equifax – West Des Moines – “Datavision now Equifax office 4300 Westown Prkwy”

Equifax Chairman and CEO Rick Smith

Rick Smith

Pros
  • They offer flexibility in working conditions, and there is a good work-life balance(in 18 reviews)

• Supportive, Good Benefits with solid products and diversification(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management takes the credit for all the work of the folks the next level down(in 13 reviews)

• lack of transparency from upper management, hard work and talent does not get rewarded(in 8 reviews)

Adequate company that may be too diverse with its products for its own good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsGood pay, relaxed company culture, friendly employees. There seemed to be room for growth, although management reorganization happened quite frequently.

ConsCompany is so large and has acquired so many different smaller companies that keeping up-to-date with its products is next to impossible. There isn't enough education between departments, so selling these other solutions to clients was confusing and made you look like you didn't know what you were talking about (because most of the time you didn't). If you did manage to sell something other than your main product, getting it implemented is a whole different set of issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen lines of communication between departments so that cross-selling is easier.

Very Disappointed

Account Manager/CRM (Current Employee)

ProsGoing into 2014 there is not a Pro I can think of....other then I still have a job and that is what you will be told. Be happy you have a job!

Cons2014 has started out as a nightmare! I am not sure anyone knows what our goals are for this year. We are into the second quarter of the year and still have no clue what our first quarter goals are. Whoever in this company makes the decision on goals has an issue with letting the employees know what they are until half the year has past. Then when they update the employees of what they are they tell us we did not hit the goal so they don't have to pay any bonuses. We can never count on our goals to remain the same throughout the year as they indicate in the comp. plan that they are subject to change. This change will happen if we are close to hit it or exceed it as they do not want to pay out for our efforts. The main theme with this company is we need to focus on the shareholder bottom line for their payouts. The compensation for your work has decrease by more then 20% over the past 2 years and the benefits cost have increase over 50% in order to make the payout for the shareholders increase year over year as the employees continue to take major pay cuts. Management is being pushed to micromanage their employees or they will not keep their positions. This makes for a very unhappy work place. Top performers are jumping ship like it is on fire.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes! Turn up your hearing aids! This may be a major company but if top performer are leaving at record numbers you are not doing something right. Unless this is your plan to payless $$$ to your employees?

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alpharetta, GA (US)

ProsProfitable company with clear visibility into your salary and bonus potential

ConsCompany is conservative and slow to invest in new and innovative ideas

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay and benefits, good business model

ConsLacks leadership in some area

This is a Great Place to Work

Clerical (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsThis is a Great Place to Work

ConsNeed more opportunities for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up good work!

Forget people - Drive the dollars

Account Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsLong time stable organization that is in the midst of a refocusing on new data driven solutions. Piles of data both regulated and unregulated for use in developing new services.

ConsThe focus on the bottom line has lead to the "job elimination" of legacy employees (15+ years of service) resulting in a drain on IP that cannot be replaced with younger less expensive associates. The focus on quarter to quarter bottom line has resulted in the changing, after the fact, of the incentive program refusing to pay top performers the $$ they earned under the program. The reasoning being "the program structure was paying out too much for the individual's account portfolio size." Bottom line - people worked their tails off to achieve exceptional results, regardless of their "portfolio size", to improve the EFX bottom line, only to be told that what they thought they earned was determined after the fact to be more than the architects of the plan felt was appropriate.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you create an incentive program, stick to it. Don't change the deal after you see that it will cost you more than you budgeted - after all the only person benefitting from the increased revenue with lower payouts are the senior executives whose performance incentives are tied to overall revenue growth.

IXI, A division of Equifax – a growth company that is now a wind down

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) McLean, VA (US)

ProsStill a few dedicated employees that are struggling along and a steady paycheck

ConsBasically Equifax is cutting costs to increase profits without increasing sales at the detriment of long term growth. The IXI president is full of himself but is actually clueless about the business model. Most of the employees are currently looking to leave leading to a lot of attrition.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnless you are fine with a dying business either sell IXI or find new management

Be ready to feel used and always afraid of losing your job

(Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA (US)

ProsThe remodel has made the work space much more pleasant, bright and useful. If you happen upon one of the few "good" bosses, you can learn a lot, and have opportunities to prove your abilities and advance.

ConsIf you get stuck with a bad boss, you will spend every single day wondering when you'll be let go. You will never be listened to, you will be accused and used as a scapegoat to the boss' superiors. You will never have an opportunity to advance, no matter how hard you work, and worst of all, you won't be able to move to a different department because your boss' approval is necessary.

This company no longer does direct hiring with rare exception. They use contractors like slaves (working just like an employee, but to a higher standard of performance, no benefits, no job security and considerably lower pay). Contractors are left out of important meetings, they are not recognized for individual or team achievements, they are left off of company-wide invitations to things as trivial as parking-lot cookouts and department contests and games On the rare occasion that lunch is catered for the *entire building,* contractors are not invited (and expressly told not to eat!!) even though these contractors may have worked with the company for a year or more, If there are leftovers, managers may tell the contractors to go forage for the scraps. This is not an exaggeration. This actually happened to me and several of my teammates in our department. (And let me further explain: we work beside and with employees, on the same work, all the time. We are indistinguishable from employees, except for the fact that we are paid from an agency.)

Equifax subscribes to the LEAN business concept, which means that they are constantly piling more work on fewer and fewer employees and contractors, then laying off or firing the unnecessary workers, then occasionally calling them back after a few months of drowning in work overflow.

In the last round of layoffs and firings in my old department, the least tenured employee laid off had been with Equifax for eight years. The rest had been with the company for at least 20 years and had moved to GA from NY when their jobs relocated years ago.

The work environment is super high stress because you're being monitored ALL of the time. Not only is your work and computer use understandably scrutinized, but the walls have ears; meaning that if you want to have a conversation that is not monitored and/or recorded, you have to go to a certain corner of the employee cafe. You'll know it when your boss takes you there to talk about something that might help you, but which she can't be caught saying.

This company has zero loyalty. They foster the very worst kind of corporate atmosphere. Truly, they are a machine where employees (even departmental directors) are unhappy and insecure in their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think it's even worth my time to offer advice to management, partly because they are often under the same pressures as the employees, but also because, even if they care, they are essentially powerless to make changes. All directives trickle down from the upper, upper management and when a director has any latitude, it is tempered by LEAN demands, which stifle all creativity, process improvements (beyond firing/laying off), innovations, and significant changes.

Yeah, maybe

Senior Director (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat data to analyze: if you want "big data", Equifax has it. Really smart co-workers, some of whom will bend over backwards to be helpful.

ConsSales/revenue-driven company to exclusion of all else. Management continually re-organizing. Maintaining stock price is paramount. Long term plans sound good but appear to lack the "voice of data customer": management 'sees' the future but doesn't hear the voice of employees actually using/working with the data.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you'd only listen to the people working with the data, you'd know a lot more about EFX's potential. As it is, management appears to hear only what it wants to hear.

Some interesting work, but fighting the bureaucracy is tiring sometimes.

ProsIt is a stable place to work. People who start tend to stay for a long time. There is internal mobility, in that you can switch jobs. They offer flexibility in working conditions, and there is a good work-life balance. The culture is a traditional 9-5.

ConsThere are limited opportunities for moving up due to the fact that people don't leave very often, and there is not a lot of growth. Bureaucracy is difficult to work with in a lot of cases, especially legal.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in current technology initiatives.

Worked for Equifax? Contribute to the Community!