Experian Reviews

Updated 17 September 2014
Updated 17 September 2014
2.9

Brian Cassin

Pros
  • work life balance is typically OK but reflected in poor pay and benefits (in 18 reviews)

• Good benefits, decent time off, plenty of telework opportunities (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management does not take interest in mentoring subordinates (in 19 reviews)

• Not enough work-life balance or work from home opportunities (they frown on it, it seems) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Former Employee - Marketing Communications  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Communications in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Experian full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

People, pay, autonomy, work/life balance

Cons

High Pressure, lots of politics

Trust your employees

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good culture, nice atmosphere to work.

Cons

Non competitive salary for London based area

Ok company

I worked at Experian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay's well, depending on business unit good office culture, random perks and discounts.

Cons

You can get lost in the shuffle.

Reduce waste, a lot of redundancy.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great background and history - disappointing guidance into the future

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong historically built brand that clients trust and respect.
    Very good decisioning automation platform PowerCurve - clients feedback tells it is the best platform in the market so far.
    Good expertise in analytics and business consultancy in people bearing the knowledge.
    Much attention to training communication and sales skills.

Cons

Transformation into a centralized company kills client-centricity, people legacy engagement. Dogmatic approach prevail. Lack of pragmatism that allows competitors win more often.
    Brand has been suffering distrust and unreliability attitude for 1-2 year steadily.
    Bureaucracy (decision making) is heavy and does not improve.
    Senior leadership is poor, strategy and company's identity and business model not clear and there are no activities seen at senior level to identify those - no clarity what the company is and where it goes.
    Payments lower than the market.

Would be great to concentrate on determining the company's business model and the strategy. Be pragmatic.

A good start

Current Employee - Marketing  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than a year

Pros

- This company is a great start for someone early on in their career.
    - As it is a FTSE 100 company you are working for the industry leader.
    - Good work/life balance.
    - Young teams if you want a young atmosphere, not many people 40+

Cons

- Not so great for senior managers over 35! Some senior managers are 26 for example. We have one 40+ year old in our greater team and she is extremely insecure because of how young everyone is.
    - You need to play the corporate game to get anywhere. Most senior managers are very defensive of their roles as there are talented people who are younger and up and coming.
    - Some managers don't let their team members shine

- Don't let manager and senior managers take all of the credit for their team. From what most employees say, their manager doesn't do much compared to them.
    - Give every employee a voice and a chance to show their INDIVIDUAL achievements - not managers taking TEAM credit!

Great culture but too much politics

Current Employee - QA Tester  in  Costa Mesa, CA (US)
    Current Employee - QA Tester in Costa Mesa, CA (US)

I have been working at Experian as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good pay rate
    Good culture
    Good work/life balance

Cons

Too much politics
    Difficult to convert from contract to full time
    Employees are disposable

Please back up your tenured and professional employees and keep them.

Interesting company that is moving from being a collection of small operations to a more connected global organisation

Current Employee - Commercial
    Current Employee - Commercial

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Wide variety of work, good opportunities for travel. Generally employ intelligent staff. Compensation is lower side of average, time off average, work life balance mixed

Cons

Experian still hasn't quite managed to start like acting like a grown up global company. Regional and local profit targets get in the way of effectively dealing with growth and investment sometimes.

Keep going. Still much to do. And just because consultants cost more doesn't mean they must be right! Trust and stretch your own staff.

Stay Away From Experian NSC - Especially Women

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Schaumburg, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Schaumburg, IL (US)

I worked at Experian full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are definitely some positives. The team, as a whole, is full of outstanding people and are in many cases very good at what they do. The support teams, like sales support and membership, are some of the best people I have ever worked with. I have a lot of respect and admiration for them. Experian as a whole is a very good company. But this does not, and I mean DOES NOT apply to the NSC.

Cons

I do not know a single person in the Experian NSC who is happy working there. Not one. NSC Management refuses to be clear about rules and standards, and in my opinion it is because it allows them to twist, bend, or make up the rules as needed to support decisions that actual data would not support, or to single out individuals when they would have to include others if they went by data and clear standards.

I quit recently, but have been told by NSC team members I have a good relationship with that NSC management has either stated or strongly implied in meetings that I was fired. If true, it means that the people you will work for if you join the NSC team are liars, that they gossip like schoolgirls about private, confidential personnel and disciplinary matters with people who have no reason to know. You know how a lot of offices have the person that has nothing better to do than spread rumors? Now imagine that person is your boss.

Not long before I left, one employee got up from his desk in a rage over something he thought another employee did, but which I thought would be perfectly legitimate if she had done it. Employee A, the enraged one, who is large and male, walked over to the cube of employee B, who is smaller and female, and yelled loudly, with f-bombs here, there, and everywhere. With A’s presence between her and the exit from her cube and A’s posture being very aggressive, B had little choice but to endure this. She must have been scared out of her mind and felt very threatened. Surely A would be fired for this, right? Nope, at least not before I left about a week later, and as far as I know he got a slap on the wrist before being sent back to work 20 feet away from the target of his outburst. I don’t know if a warning was issued, because, to my knowledge his case was not discussed publicly. It would be very ironic if management said it could not discuss personnel issues publicly, because all signs suggest they are perfectly comfortable with it. My colleagues expressed to me their belief that A, due to his sales numbers being good, would not be in any danger of being fired. That is speculation, but the near-assault as I described it happened and one team member must have been deeply shaken and intimidated and the other suffered no real consequences I am aware of. If that is because of his sales, somebody could conclude that, in the Experian NSC, if your numbers are good you can harass and abuse others. As I said, I don’t know why it was handled the way it appears to have been handled, but I would not want any female relatives or friends of mine to work in a place where one employee could treat another like that and not be immediately escorted off the property by security.

Now, consider the comfort level NSC management has and the amount of tolerance they have for employees resolving conflicts, real and imagined, among themselves even if it might increase the risk of office rage like the 100% true story above. To this, add crazy systems like inbound calls ringing on everyone's phone at the same time, so individual performance is not necessarily based on superior sales skills, but could be mostly due to someone's ability to keep their finger on a button on their phone. If you work to feed your kids or keep a roof over your head, this is not a small thing. It is deadly serious. If you think your ability to take care of the people you love is being messed with by luck, circumstance, cheating, or other things you cannot control, you may feel a lot of stress and frustration, and if you don't, the person next to you might. This system is what has passed for good judgment at least twice, with two different groups. It obliterates the team atmosphere and gives people a reason to look at their fellow team members as threats. Especially if they have the severe anger-management issues like the person in the story above, who you will be working with if you join the NSC.

It is commonly believed that if you do break through and have a good year, and exceed your quota, NSC management can and sometimes do raise your quota so they need not pay you. It is also commonly believed that NSC management has reneged on a sales award at least one time. These are rumors, but if management enjoys spreading rumors I might as well let you know what team members have said, since I consider it to be more reliable than what management says. Personally, I believe they are accurate.

In summary, the way I see it, if you join the Experian NSC, you will work for people who refuse to be clear about standards and rules. You'll work with a team that is almost entirely unhappy. You may be subject to harassment, abuse, and intimidation, or possibly even violence, by someone already known by NSC management to have engaged in threatening behavior against a fellow NSC associate. You may sit next to this person, but only if you work in the Experian NSC. You can look forward to having to argue for your interpretation of the rules because others interpret them in away that is bad for you, and NSC management is unable or unwilling to make a clear set of rules that apply equally to everyone.

I left because I had a disagreement with Experian over what I considered to be unethical practices by the NSC management team that pressured me and others to choose between violating the law, violating Experian policy, or alienating management. Any of those could have put my job in jeopardy. I believe my relationship changed due to my raising the issue with HR, which failed to provide any assistance in resolving it. You can take this as the word of a disgruntled ex-employee if you like, but an employment lawyer I talked to agreed with me, but pointed out that Illinois is an at-will state, so if they can make up a good reason to let you go it can cover for illegitimate reasons that might be the real cause.

You chose the people who now lead the Experian NSC in Schaumburg. Because of your decisions about who should lead the NSC, virtually everyone is unhappy. Virtually nobody feels they know what the rules and standards are or that they can trust NSC management to be honest and fair. These people you chose to lead your NSC team are apparently recklessly sharing confidential employee info with people whose jobs do not require it, which is a serious breach of ethics in my opinion and if it is not against the law it sure should be. And these people you chose to lead the NSC have left it in the hands of the team, especially the loudest, most aggressive people, to decide how the rules will be implemented rather than step up and do their jobs and provide real leadership. And at least one of your employees has been subject to a horrifying episode of office rage in which any normal woman would have been seriously in fear for her safety, and STILL HAS TO WORK 20 FEET AWAY from the very person who did it. What the hell is wrong with you that you have allowed the NSC to come to this? Seriously, what

Project Management

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Costa Mesa, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Costa Mesa, CA (US)

I worked at Experian as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great co workers, everyone trying to do their best to complete projects on time. Good pay.

Cons

Burn out factory. Billion dollar company runs itself like a start up. Constant high pressure and extremely fast paced environment, every IT resources constantly overbooked on numerous projects, need for bargaining / horse trading on shared resources to get projects completed on time.

Stress factory, employee burn out inevitable. Stop treating people like their replaceable no matter what and you might not see such a high turn over rate. Too many weekly 'emergency' issue fire drills, too many resources being poached off projects for emergency issues to successfully complete ongoing projects adequately.

From the envy to sweatshop

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Most work together for the common good but since the largest disruption in recent memory, it has not been the same place.

Cons

Work life balance does not exist, UK management mentality seem to be evermore prevalent and not for the better.

Worked for Experian? Contribute to the Community!