Experian Reviews

Updated 25 August 2014
Updated 25 August 2014

2.9

Brian Cassin

Pros
  • work life balance is typically OK but reflected in poor pay and benefits (in 18 reviews)

• Good benefits, decent time off, plenty of telework opportunities (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management does not take interest in mentoring subordinates (in 19 reviews)

• Not enough work-life balance or work from home opportunities (they frown on it, it seems) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great background and history - disappointing guidance into the future

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong historically built brand that clients trust and respect.
    Very good decisioning automation platform PowerCurve - clients feedback tells it is the best platform in the market so far.
    Good expertise in analytics and business consultancy in people bearing the knowledge.
    Much attention to training communication and sales skills.

Cons

Transformation into a centralized company kills client-centricity, people legacy engagement. Dogmatic approach prevail. Lack of pragmatism that allows competitors win more often.
    Brand has been suffering distrust and unreliability attitude for 1-2 year steadily.
    Bureaucracy (decision making) is heavy and does not improve.
    Senior leadership is poor, strategy and company's identity and business model not clear and there are no activities seen at senior level to identify those - no clarity what the company is and where it goes.
    Payments lower than the market.

Would be great to concentrate on determining the company's business model and the strategy. Be pragmatic.

Project Management

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Costa Mesa, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Costa Mesa, CA (US)

I worked at Experian as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great co workers, everyone trying to do their best to complete projects on time. Good pay.

Cons

Burn out factory. Billion dollar company runs itself like a start up. Constant high pressure and extremely fast paced environment, every IT resources constantly overbooked on numerous projects, need for bargaining / horse trading on shared resources to get projects completed on time.

Stress factory, employee burn out inevitable. Stop treating people like their replaceable no matter what and you might not see such a high turn over rate. Too many weekly 'emergency' issue fire drills, too many resources being poached off projects for emergency issues to successfully complete ongoing projects adequately.

Downsized But Not For Lack Of Trying

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant SSC  in  Benbrook, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant SSC in Benbrook, TX (US)

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I work in the specialized sales channel working with Experian resellers. I am fortunate the I get to work remotely and have nice benefits. However, the company values don't seem to exist. When I was a sales manager at Chilton we all worked together to grow the business and their was a team approach to selling. In this group, everyone works independently and the only team that exists is on the sheet of paper in human resources. We need a strategic approach to growing the business with less criticism from the newbies to the group.

Cons

We continue to have a constant turnover in leadership in our group. Our new vice president talks too much about herself, does not keep information confidential. She recently suggested that I turn in my sales hat to work on compliance issues and product management products. The only reason she was promoted is because she spoke in a negative manner to multiple people in the organization about her peers. As a result, those people have been put out to pasture or have been forced to resign.

Get a manager in our group that is interested in growing the business and sticking with business issues. We are so tired of hearing of her accomplishments in her life. The rest of us our hear to work and not focus on issues with the vice president of specialized sales.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

From the envy to sweatshop

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Most work together for the common good but since the largest disruption in recent memory, it has not been the same place.

Cons

Work life balance does not exist, UK management mentality seem to be evermore prevalent and not for the better.

Attack of the Drones

I worked at Experian for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Big name for CV (if that's even worth anything any more)

otherwise none.

Cons

1. Talentless drones
    2. Wages relatively low, bonuses practically non-existent.
    3. Pigeonholed - most people get pidgeonholed in to single-skill or sometimes no-skill boring jobs.
    4. Slow train to nowhere - it's one of those places you spend 20 years trying to get somewhere by which time you're as useless as everyone else but have a manager title because all the good people moved on to better things and you were the last one left.
    5. Lots of red tape, slow to get anything done, takes weeks for trivial things, meetings about meetings
    6. Paper Architects - as bad as in banking they don't actually know how to do anything, literally one received an award for X years of service and it was painful to even watch him use Microsoft Office, extremely limited and narrow IT knowledge of the marketplace and technologies never mind how anything actually works.

Pay more, hire fewer people, make sure each person is better quality.

Outsourced

Current Employee - Data Management Analyst  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Data Management Analyst in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Remote work is possible, fair compensation, good people

Cons

Layoffs and work outsourced, not a good work life balance

A short term focused organization.

I worked at Experian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- International culture and scale
    - Business Model (captive clients, comfortable revenue...)

Cons

- Pure finance approach (annual redundancy plan),
    - No employee focus (no recognition, no career plans, no consistant performance review),
    - No customer focus (only politics),
    - Too much politics.

Examples of this:
    - Senior management spending time in internal politics and so ignoring both clients and employees.
    - Frequent redundancy plans (and mass hiring right before and right after).
    - High pressure and workload with lots of unpaid overtime several months before project closure (and success), no reward whatsoever in the end (just getting fired because project was delivered on time for annual redundancy plan...).
    - Individual layoff of experienced people as soon as they face a personal issue.

Manage your client first, your employees second (ask a professional HR for help) and take care of internal politics if you have time. Not the other way around.

Great culture but too much politics

Current Employee - QA Tester  in  Costa Mesa, CA (US)
    Current Employee - QA Tester in Costa Mesa, CA (US)

I have been working at Experian as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good pay rate
    Good culture
    Good work/life balance

Cons

Too much politics
    Difficult to convert from contract to full time
    Employees are disposable

Please back up your tenured and professional employees and keep them.

Interesting company that is moving from being a collection of small operations to a more connected global organisation

Current Employee - Commercial
    Current Employee - Commercial

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Wide variety of work, good opportunities for travel. Generally employ intelligent staff. Compensation is lower side of average, time off average, work life balance mixed

Cons

Experian still hasn't quite managed to start like acting like a grown up global company. Regional and local profit targets get in the way of effectively dealing with growth and investment sometimes.

Keep going. Still much to do. And just because consultants cost more doesn't mean they must be right! Trust and stretch your own staff.

Safe career option but could be so much better

Current Employee - Corporate Development  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Corporate Development in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- in the main people are friendly although not the smartest or hardest working
    - work life balance is typically OK but reflected in poor pay and benefits

Cons

- pay is poor and below market rate for most roles except sales and senior management
    - poor talent retention and nurturing at junior level
    - company burdened by process and approvals - many missed opportunities due to slow decision making by committee
    - the company is full of people who get paid well and do nothing because they are friends with the right people. Removing the deadwood would help with morale of many

- focus on developing talent within
    - pay to retain best junior staff (all the best are leaving within 2/3 years)
    - greater scrutiny of senior exec expenses (some are outrageous)
    - remove deadwood employees that are expensive and add zero value. Particularly in the central corporate function
    - your idea of bonus scheme is a joke, even for the global corporate teams

Worked for Experian? Contribute to the Community!