Express Reviews

Updated 23 August 2014

3.1

Express President & CEO Michael A. Weiss
Michael A. Weiss

Pros
  • Great discount-35-45 percent off (in 49 reviews)

• The cons outweigh even the positives that the 30% employee discount give (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't like minimum wage and sometimes it can get really hectic with customers (in 62 reviews)

• I would constantly be hounded to sell more credit cards, and borderline harass customers for it (in 54 reviews)

More Highlights

Good retail experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Scranton, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Scranton, PA (US)

I have been working at Express part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount, creative experience, meeting new people, learning new trends, moving up within the company.

Cons

Minimum wage, the customer is always right (even if they don't treat you like a human being), employee benefits (taking away our rewards program), employees excluded from coupons.

Increase wages and not as many employees will leave as often. Treat your employees as customers too (we still pay and shop at Express...

Loved working here!

Former Employee - Fashion Expert  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Fashion Expert in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Express part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Loved my associates, and managers. Loved customers and my employee discount!

Cons

When store gets busy they forget to give you a break. I forget to ask for it, and very rarely received it. Also, it was very difficult to get coverage for days I could not work. Management disregards your availability and puts you on the schedule anyway, and main store manager was very unapproachable.

Great work environment!

Current Employee - Co-Manager  in  Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome discount, great benefits, amazing co workers. Overall a really great place to learn the ins and outs if retail.

Cons

Long hours, low pay. Job is really demanding for what the pay is especially for those who get promoted from within!

Pay better to retain the best talent!!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Associate

Current Employee - Express Sales Associate  in  Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Express Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Express part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discounts. Meeting new people, management

Cons

Low Pay, even with experience

Offer higher salaries to retain employees

I've worked for many specialty retailers and EXPRESS is by far the best company I've worked for.

Current Employee - Brand Co-Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Brand Co-Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The amazing discount. The family like environment with the district/ region/ company. They care about their employees. Company is very involved. Lots of VP / ZVP/ RM / RVM / DM / LP visits!

Cons

You spend all your money on the clothes.

Keep up the great work.

Great team working environment

Current Employee - Customer Sales Lead  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Sales Lead in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Express part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good opportunity to move up, great experience on resume, discount, leadership building

Cons

hours are not ideal, company is restricting employee discount more and more, constantly short staffed

Changed my view on retail jobs

I have been working at Express

Pros

Great people to work with, management is fun and know how to get the associates pumped for the day

Cons

not much negative started out with few hours but once you get the hang of everything the hours come

Great place to work!

I worked at Express part-time for less than a year

Pros

The employee discount is great! You are also the first to get your hands on all of the new merchandise. The hours are great especially when working during the holidays. Very upbeat atmosphere at all times.

Cons

With it being a retail position, you work with your fair share of bad employees (the ones who are there to make their parents happy when they are on break from school). You are on your feet the entire time so make sure to wear appropriate shoes (not high heels).

Love the job and the company

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chesapeake, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chesapeake, VA (US)

I worked at Express part-time for less than a year

Pros

They train you really we'll so that know what your doing and if you love working with people this is a good job because it's hands on with customers.

Cons

Communication and scheduling are the biggest problems. And there is no full time position unless you become a manager.

Provided good training in retail but no one can stay there. Great for college students.

Current Employee - Express Sales Associate  in  Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Express Sales Associate in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at Express part-time for more than a year

Pros

Management was extremely flexible with my scheduling. I was a full-time student and worked a separate on-campus job and my hours of availability changed every week with varying school commitments. They always worked well with whatever time I needed off to succeed in school.

Cons

There was a 100% turnover within the 16 months I worked for the company...by the time I quit, no one, including management, that was there when I started still worked there. As a result, communication was a big issue, manager to manager and manager to employee. As a result the work itself on the job was inconsistent. There would be days when low mall traffic would result in my shift being cut 2-3 hours in, meaning barely enough pay at the winning minimum wage of $7.25/hr to cover the gas going to and from the mall. I also struggled with the only training being through a few learning module videos, which weren't shown to me until weeks after starting the job. Their "learning on the job" approach resulted in never gaining a grasp on certain policies or procedures and continually learning and relearning them on the job depending on which manager was present that day.

Consider a new company-wide minimum wage...$7.25/hr gross pay was a FAR cry from enough for the work we did per hour.

Worked for Express? Contribute to the Community!