ExxonMobil Reviews

Updated 18 September 2014
3.6

ExxonMobil Chairman and CEO Rex W. Tillerson
Rex W. Tillerson

Pros
  • Great work/life balance outside of month-end close (in 22 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are great as it is big oil (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • This can be a good thing, but not when you desire a strong work/life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Rating & Ranking system is antiquated at best (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting working with exxon

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

It was a nice experience being included to Exxon Family. Its the best time of my life.

Cons

Smart people, good values, a bit inconsistent

Former Employee - Professional  in  South Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Professional in South Houston, TX (US)

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay, interesting work, intelligent colleagues, multicultural environment

Cons

Admin staff not helpful, quality of leadership is inconsistent across different groups, and you have little to no say in your own career path

Though the workforce is diverse, most managers and executives are white, Anglo men. That sends a negative signal to your worldwide personnel as to their prospects at the company and probably hurts performance at the top. Also, be more transparent with employees about your plans for their careers. You might learn something, or even make things better, through two-way dialogue, instead of just issuing top-down commands. Some managers seem to understand this, while many others (who are less respected as a result) take a more dictatorial approach.

I was a co-op at ExxonMobil for less than one year

I worked at ExxonMobil as an intern for less than a year

Pros

There are very smart people all around. Projects are interesting and relevant to real-world problems in the energy field. The environment is friendly and professional, with social groups and activities to participate in. The compensation is also very good, especially for an intern/co-op position.

Cons

Communication between departments/projects sometimes suffers due to the size and scope of the company. There are a lot of security procedures that, while perhaps necessary, can inhibit the progress of projects.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Values and controls

Current Employee - Manager  in  Budapest (Hungary)
    Current Employee - Manager in Budapest (Hungary)

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Strong believe in values and mission

Cons

Overcontrolled
    Low sensitivity towards CSR
    No real HR department career is driven onlz if your manager is good

Take more risk and open your mind to the world

I had a great experience!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at ExxonMobil as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great, smart, motivated individuals to work with. The people at ExxonMobil, by nature of the company's very selective hiring process, have a great work ethic- they are self-motivated to do a good job.

Cons

The benefits seem to be similar to all the major oil and gas companies, despite the fact that it seems more difficult to get hired at ExxonMobil than the other companies.

Excellent. Very challenging, but a great learning experience and a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Midstream Operations  in  Fairfax Station, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Midstream Operations in Fairfax Station, VA (US)

I have been working at ExxonMobil as an intern

Pros

Competitive, surrounded by very intelligent people, hire people for a career, outstanding benefits (pension), global company, very strong values and ethics, very strong focus on safety and health of employees

Cons

Can be long hours, large corporation-- lots of politics, slow company to react, lots of people watching everything this company does

I think ExxonMobil needs to work on its public image to customers especially new customers. Right now it is perceived that ExxonMobil is "hard to work with and hard to get in touch with if someone is interested in purchasing something".

Good company for long term employment

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time

Pros

Good Pay.
    High job security
    Global career opportunity

Cons

hard to progress career if ranking not in favor
    too big, process orientated
    sometimes need to relocate due to work

revising ranking process

ExxonMobil - a dream company!

Former Employee - Document Control Assistant  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Document Control Assistant in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at ExxonMobil as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance: Great place to work for if you're a family person and have other commitments apart from your job
    Paycheck: Very competitive salary, you will not be disappointed
    Traveling for work: Will get to see a lot of different countries during your business trips
    Always a sweet venue for corporate parties: They book the nicest hotels, restaurants, museums etc. for parties

Cons

Could be stressful at times
    Juggling multiple deadlines

Keep up the good work!

Pretty good for people seeking stability

Former Employee - Intern  in  Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Intern in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at ExxonMobil as an intern for less than a year

Pros

As an intern, they gave me a lot of ownership and responsibility, and let me take over a project no one has done before. They gave me periodical review and 1-1 discussion sessions with senior management as well. It was very very beneficial to my overall growth and definitely rewarding. There were tough times when I couldn't sort out a problem or had to spend extra time on it but it paid off.

I don't know whether it's a pro or a con but the company value is pretty conservative. I guess it's just whether it's a good fit for you. Internal Control is stringent and rigorous. They do execute those rules to the fullest. Safety is their top value.

People were very friendly and easy going though. During my 8 weeks there, I had like 3 or 4 chances to go out to group dinner, group events, etc. The company once paid for an expensive Japanese buffet for our team outing as well. Desserts and cakes shared by colleagues almost every day. Oh the pay was high above average as well, as an intern.

Cons

not really many cons as an intern.

Love my job, but feel like second class citizen

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at ExxonMobil as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

I enjoy the fast-paced and challenging work in a pleasant work environment. I recommend working here as an employee only ... not as a contractor.

Cons

ExxonMobil tends to hire contractors to avoid providing benefits. I work just as hard as employees with the same title and responsibilities, but get no benefits - no vacation, no insurance, no 401K matching funds, and probably less pay than my co-workers.

Hiring long-term contractors (longer than 3-6 mos) to work at the same level of responsibility and professionalism as employees, but without providing the same benefits, is SHAMEFUL and DEMORALIZING to contractors. To make matters worse, all O&G related businesses are behaving the same way, making it very difficult for contractors to become permanent employees like their co-workers who were hired before this trend began.

Never in my life did I expect to be my age, with my level of experience, under-paid, over-worked, no hope for even 1 day of paid vacation, no health insurance, no 401K, and basically no respect. It's painful to watch everyone around me get vacation time, Christmas bonuses, all the packaged benefits employees enjoy, while I pretty much eat dirt. I don't begrudge them their benefits, because they deserve them ... but so do I.

Worked for ExxonMobil? Contribute to the Community!