F5 Networks

Updated 16 December 2014
4.4

F5 Networks President, CEO, and Director John McAdam
John McAdam

Pros
  • Keeping a good work/life balance is not penalized, even implicitly (in 23 reviews)

• Very competitive salary, great benefits that challenge the huge multi-nationals (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Only con I can think of is just the growing pains of scaling from a small to a large company (in 16 reviews)

• San Jose office depends a lot on Seattle (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Company/Culture Hands Down

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Eugene, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Eugene, OR (US)

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are so many pros to working at F5. I would say that the top of the list is the company culture is one of integrity, and one that values the employee as a human, not as a cog in the machine.
    The Salary and benefits are amazing. I have full family health insurance that is 100% paid by F5. I do not have $ taken out of my check for the premium. Stock grants, ESPP, 401k matching, donation matching, and vacation time are at or above what I consider standard for the Tech industry. Did I mention "Beer Friday"?
    The company is growing, and that means career opportunities are plentiful, F5 is very consciously protecting the company culture even though the company has doubled in size in less than five years. I've been at other companies where rapid growth destroyed the company culture.

Cons

F5 is growing at a rapid pace and some of the backend systems have yet to be upgraded. But hey if the only real pain I have to experience is struggling with an antiquated system to request PTO then I'll deal with it.

Keep it up. 2 Billion here we come....

Good company, insane workload

Current Employee - Network Support Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Network Support Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best employee training I've seen anywhere
    you feel valued
    given the opportunity to rise to your potential
    Good benefits
    Beer friday

Cons

Once you've finished the intro training you won't have time to do the update training
    update training is not as good as the intro training
    Current workload is crushing

Not laying people off makes you able to feel like a nice company, and with the ammount of money you spend on training, that's understandable, but doing a better job of projecting and hiring to meet needs would go a long way to making F5 not just world class to work for, but make working in support a valid career rather than a stepping stone.

Excellent company. Perfect work life balance

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good benefit, salary and opportunity

Cons

Commute, no no no no

I am a consultant in professional services team have over 10 years experience in telecommunications 3G/4G

Current Employee - Professional Services and QA in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)
    Current Employee - Professional Services and QA in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

Professionalism
    Personality
    Eager to learn new skills
    Training ability

Cons

Getting many projects at a time

Knowledge sharing and weekly training sessions are very helpful and contribute to mastering the area you are responsible for.

The company is under the transition, both great and challenging environment

Current Employee - Regional Product Marketing Manager in Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Regional Product Marketing Manager in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The environment is a good mixture of start-ups and large enterprise cultures. You can enjoy both, still many people here are very nice and easy to work with.

Cons

The company started to growth rapidly and therefore people and the way the organization operated is drastically changing. It is not easy to catch up all changes those re happenning, which can be tough for some people who has a different cultures.

More transparent personnel evaluation and appraisal seems to be expected from the individual contributors.

Best technology company to work for

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at F5 Networks

Pros

Benefits, salary, and management. Great team collaboration and advancement to further pursue career goals.

Cons

Some growing pains due to F5 is no longer a smaller companym Dealing with those growing pain issues can be cumbersome.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at F5 Networks as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible & easy-going atmosphere. Lots of new hires, so company outlook is strong. Free snacks. People are nice. There's lots of support if you have any questions or concerns.

Cons

Could use more structure on policies & processes. Offices are packed since the space is at capacity. This is a branch office, so a lot of things have to be ran through Corporate in Seattle.

The most exciting, fast paced and high tech company I have had the privilege to work for. A great place to work!

Former Employee - Senior Internal Trainer
    Former Employee - Senior Internal Trainer

I worked at F5 Networks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Hands off managers that keep you challenged. Great state-of-the-art products and a company with a vision.They are a global company with many opportunities for employment and professional growth.

Cons

I worked support for many years, it's fast paced, must be able to multi-task and change direction on a dime. Very high stress environment and workload is endless. Hi burn out rate. Supports a good place to get your hands-wet and learn the product. It's just a jump platform to get into other areas of the company. IE Consulting, Field Service, Systems Engineer. Lots of opportunity within F5 Networks. Traffic in the Puget Sound is very dense. If you live outside of Seattle in the suburbs, be prepared for a commute.

Continue to create and provide in-depth training to the folks in the trenches. The product is so complex that training needs to stay ahead of the curve.

Not safe for a good software developer.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at F5 Networks

Pros

Benefits are okay. There are a few bright people as well.

Cons

Worst codebase I've seen. Often picking the wrong tool for the job. Perl is blooming, Python is frowned upon. C modules having more than 30K lines of code. Lacking documentation. Bug-oriented development. GCC4.1 in 2014.

Best high tech employer in Seattle

Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, corporate culture, never a dull moment, unlimited learning opportunities

Cons

We have a start up mentality that is not scaling to our swelling payroll
    Our ambitions are wide and tall; resulting in product quality issues
    New hires are not as skilled as "the olde guarde"

Company values are excellent. Continue focus on increasing cross-enterprise collaboration. Consider not being quite so date driven in the product release cycle. Market early "beta" access with customers and reward customers with discounts.