Facebook

Facebook Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg

Pros:
  • "The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you"
    in 68 reviews
  • "Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location"
    in 51 reviews
Cons:
  • "Terrible work/life balance unless you actively set barriers and don't do some things"
    in 36 reviews
  • "Not really a con but a tradeoff for moving fast: lack of documentation"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Incredibly challenging and rewarding

Hyderābād

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYour rate of personal growth will be astounding. You will rub shoulders with the very best and you will have the ability to learn from, and contribute across a wide range of competencies, and pick up several new skills and solve challenges you never thought you could.

You are working on fresh cutting edge problems, wherever you work in the company, and the enthusiasm and cheer is really amazing, and fires you up !

People work really hard. Very little corporate politics. People will go to any extent to assist you with anything you are doing. People will be usually seen debating wide-ranging subjects that affect the World all over campus.

ConsThe learning curve tapers off after your first two years unless you are in roles that offer you immense elbow room (such as myself) - The opportunities to rectify this are there nevertheless.

Sometimes, the frenzy of belief in product borders on cult status, with designers, engineers and product teams residing in proverbial ivory towers, oblivious to pains of the World outside Menlo Park, CA

Hiring standards are dropping slightly, principles are compromised upon ! Newsfeed itself is now a place where ads are shown. Monetization has suddenly propped up from nowhere, where all it would have taken for us to have a better performance in the markets , would have been for Mark to have taken the IPO more seriously.

The satellite offices ( India for example) are often seen as poor second cousins with respect to everything. They don't command the automatic respect that a designer in Menlo Park would.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure a much more solid career path now for individuals (doesn't have to be ala McKinsey) and let go of the "Jungle Gym" narrative. It is accepted now that we are a company that is unlike any other, and the "Jungle Gym" philosophy is already old hat. We know that we have those opportunitites, but it really is disheartening when two or three different teams end up claiming advantages for the same piece of achievement. ( Advertiser growth for example) - I can't elaborate more publicly.

The respective teams should know that they have to understand their pure, distilled philosophy for why they themselves are working on things, and learn as much as possible before "silo-ing" themselves in the pursuit of solutions that do not work.

Awesome place to work

User Operations Specialist (Current Employee)
Hyderābād

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsWe work with some of the best brains in the industry and also get to interact with highly learned and experienced people. Work culture is awesome.

ConsFree food and calories :)

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be open and help in maintaining the flat org culture

Evaluation of my work experience..........

Mumbai

I have been working at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

Prosits a rocking company and fun to work there............

ConsThere are some loopholes which are needed to be look after........

Advice to Senior Managementthey are doing a fine job.......

very good work experience with a brilliant environment

Beta Tester (Current Employee)
New Delhi

I have been working at Facebook part-time for more than a year

Proslearn work and grow with the best social site in the world

Conspost IPO, facebook's company rating and compensation benefits are going down

I love to work in facebook

Mastrmind (Current Employee)
Bhubaneswar

I have been working at Facebook as an intern for more than 3 years

ProsBest employement servise and most rigidious time flexible. Good for healthanyway!

ConsSlow network conection and the confusion in timeline. work on it to do better fb..

Advice to Senior ManagementWork On timeline.

fine and also very satisfy

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
Chennai

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Proscreative co workers and employer

Consfast lifestyle and a little stressful

Advice to Senior Managementyou are doing a fine job

Open, fast, no bs

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsIt might be easy to roll your eyes when people from Facebook say how open their culture is, but it's true; it's more open than any other place I've worked at. At a company wide-level, secret projects, public incidents, important non-public business metrics and the like are all openly discussed. You can ask questions about them directly to Zuckerburg at the weekly Q&A. I think the idea is that if everyone is on the same page or at least, differing views are heard, the company will be stronger, and solutions may be offered from a place you didn't expect. This is much different from previous companies I worked at, where discussions on internal email lists would be shut down by some lawyer saying that there's certain things that can't be discussed, and important data is divided up to groups and individuals on a "need to know" basis, etc.

This culture applies at a lower level too. You feel comfortable giving feedback to each other about each other, about product decisions, about management, etc. The flipside of this openness is that you of course, have to be willing to receive the feedback, you have to recognize that while openness and feedback is highly encouraged, decisions have to get made, and actions and data are more valuable than words. At the higher level, since the company trusts employees with access to so much information, keeping such info confidential from the outside world is taken seriously.

It's a great place to work as an engineer. You're given a lot of freedom, but it's also a responsibility to make sure you're doing things that are valuable. You don't get much credit for working hard or being smart if you don't produce valuable output.

One cool thing about Facebook, in contrast to other comparable companies (Google, Amazon, and Microsoft, though in truth, FB is much smaller), is how they have a pretty singular focus. Even with the differing areas (including advertising and such), they do a good job of keeping their eye on their mission of connecting as many people as possible. I also think they are way more empathetic to their users than most people give them credit for. It seems like popular opinion has it that FB is arrogant and only cares about its users insomuch as they represent $-signs. From within the company, it didn't feel this way at all. I saw a lot of empathy towards users, and a lot effort spent to improve or things or fix broken things with no direct financial benefit. The strategy is not complex. The thinking is that if they can make FB easier and more fun to use, then more people will use it for more time each day (which will also have a network effect of attracting even more people to use it), then the advertising dollars will follow. Of course, it is true that FB wants to make the audience more accessible to advertisers as well, but there are a lot of people at FB who care about privacy and security.

They have really good infrastructure and really great ways to share the infrastructure and code. They have a lot of cool internal tools, and what they've built is really impressive, and more importantly, it helps your team build products faster without having to solve problems that someone else already solved. Every software company tries to do this, but FB seems to have been more successful with it. Perhaps it's because they're still relatively small, but if anything, I can at least say it is very cool while it lasts.

The perks and work environment are great, unless you're one of those types that can't stand open office spaces. I've worked in both a private office and open offices in multiple companies. While I do think a private office has some benefits, I mostly think it's a personal luxury for the employee and a huge waste of money for the company. I'd much rather have the money go into other areas like salary, benefits, and other workplace improvements rather than the added real estate necessary to have offices.

Of course, you've heard about the food and snacks. They have an amazing selection of great stuff, and what I like about it is that it sort of goes above and beyond expectations. Sure, some days, lunch is better than others, but I really can't complain, and the selection of drinks and snacks is amazing. It's not like you should work at FB just because of that, but it demonstrates FB's desire to make work as fun and convenient as possible.

You'll be surrounded by people who like being there. I can't think of a better environment to work in. If you have a giant ego, you may not like it as much. Respect is definitely given to those that have deep experience in the industry, and they are expected to lead others and mentor more junior employees. However, if for whatever reason, you can't perform at the level expected, no one is going to care if you did this and that at Google or shipped ten things at MS, etc.

FB also has a lot of fun events, and I made a lot of friends working there, so going to the events was fun. Also, if you're older and worried that FB is just a bunch of 22-year-olds, and that you won't fit in, I wouldn't worry about that. FB does have a lot of young employees (who are really smart btw), and it does hire a lot of people straight out of college, but it also attracts a lot of experienced engineers from other top companies like Google, MS, Amazon, etc.

Work-life-balance seemed totally normal to me. It may be different depending on your team, but I felt you could do 40-50 hours of work a week for the most part and you would be totally fine. It's about what you produce, not how hard you're working. Other team members who had children would work normal hours and go home at normal times. I didn't see any of these folks have a problem when they left early to take care of their child or things like that. Of course, there could be times that people are expected to work extra if something critical happens, but for the most part everyone wants to avoid this and this happens sparingly, from what I observed. Now, there were many times where I chose to work late myself, but I never felt any pressure to do so. The caveat is that there are on-call rotations, and in addition, even if you are not on-call, you are expected to be reasonably available if the on-call person needs your help. However, again, no one wants this, and your team will work on ways to avoid these situations.

The best thing I can say is that working at FB is about productivity. I didn't experience and political bs and it was a pleasure working with a group of people who were all concerned with producing a good product and making the best of the time spent while doing it.

ConsFB expects a lot out of engineers, and you can't slack off. Of course, you shouldn't slack off at any job, but since FB is pretty fast-paced, there is a risk that you'll have trouble adjusting at first.

FB has a lot of custom infrastructure and tools, and prehaps more impressively, it works great. It makes doing your job really great, but on the other hand, you'll end up learning a lot of stuff that won't be applicable elsewhere.

FB's code-base is very good in some ways, but in other ways, it's not as great as some of the existing engineers think it is. I don't think this is that big of a deal, but the important part is that as an engineer, you need to quickly learn FB's values and practices and "get with the program" so to speak. If you don't like some things, then you just have to deal with it, as it's not likely you're going to change people's minds at this point. The nice thing is that things are at least very consistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to focus on how you are going to maintain the existing culture and protocols as you grow. I think this could be really tough.

Great place to work

Fraud Investigator (Former Employee)
Bentonville, AR (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of opportunities to try other departments.

ConsI never had any complaints while I was there.

Drink the koolaid

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFacebook is definitely a great place to work. If you're young (or not) and energetic, you can still do big things here. As an engineer, you still have a lot of control over the direction of your product, at least on the teams I've experienced. I think management is pretty good here as well, and you definitely work with really great engineers. The pay is great, the benefits are awesome, you are largely treated well, but this is a company you can definitely bite into too hard and overwork yourself. The place is still a lot more open internally than other corporate machines, less so since going public. Also, you get the sense that Mark has a vision, and really wants to execute on that. Time will tell if the spur of acquisitions lately are worth it, but he definitely has the balls to act on where he thinks the product is moving.

ConsI think it says a lot that I can't think of a lot of cons. AND I'm planning to leave the company this year.

-There are a lot of egos here. Definitely not representative of everyone, but some people slip through the cracks and it can be a drain working with them.
-The company is starting to feel really big. It's getting harder and harder to do anything very different as you have to convince more and more people that this is a good idea.
-If you're living in SF, then the location is pretty inconvenient. That and you'll just shove all your free FB swag in a drawer and never look at it again with all the tech protests lately. You can stand out on your team and do a great job at FB, or have a life outside of work. Choose one. I chose the former for too long, and now need to reprioritize.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have been very happy with management at Facebook. Managers have always tried to grow me, my expectations are clear, my efforts are greatly rewarded, and they try to align me with projects where I will shine. I think the important thing, as we grow, is to hold onto some of the old Facebook. "Move Fast, Break Things" well try not to break stuff, but it would be good to keep the cadence up on engineering and the processes that have crept in over the years to a minimum.

Huge impact, fun work and lots of autonomy

Product Manager (Current Employee)
Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

ProsFacebook combines the best aspects of working at a large public company (lots of resources and lots of institutional knowledge) and a hot startup (lots of super smart people and tons of autonomy). Going to work is a ton of fun. I look forward to tackling new problems each day.

ConsThe work schedule is pretty intense. Nice thing is that everyone works really hard here. So you don't feel like you're in it on your own. But you definitely have to work pretty hard here.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. All 640 reviews are posted anonymously by Facebook employees.